Scene Handles in Sketchup

I am looking for a way to control the exact position of a model inside a scene in SketchUp so that it can be accurately inserted into Layout without the need to adjust the viewport.
I produce many different (but similarly sized) interior design models with floor plans and elevations that I insert into a Layout template. My template has viewports set up for the plans & elevations which are linked to standard scene names in SU. I then update the SU model reference in Layout so that the scenes all appear in the correct viewports in LO. The problem is I have to manually adjust each viewport every time as I cannot find a way to make the scenes identical to the previous model.

Is there a way to create reference zoom/scale points or “handles” for scenes in SU so that they can be made the same as previous scenes?

There are extensions that can duplicate the camera parameters from one SketchUp scene onto other scenes. I am on my phone just now and can’t search, but perhaps you can find one.

I dont know how this all works but im desperate so my model is tiny and it wont let me zoom back in and i have a submission tomorrow so i need to to get it back asap ! Any advice would be greatly appreciated for a struggling student :sob::sob::pray::sparkles::pleading_face:

Post a new topic because this one is about a different subject. You prob wont get much help here.

Tried to use the Zoom Extents button. Or the Zoom area tool next to it

I do this for my exterior elevations. I first made a SU file of a little house with North, South etc. marked on it. I have the house on the origin. Then make a layout file that has all the scenes. I save that as a LayOut Template. I save the SketchUp file as a template (can’t say this is really necessary if I set up the scenes as needed in new files). Then I make my next project with a house near the origin in a new SketchUp file. I load it into the elevations template. The point is the SU scenes match the Layout scenes. It will not perfectly fit the ports I’ve created but it will put the scenes in all the LayOut viewports. I have to adjust the sides of the viewport and perhaps move them around, because no project is the same.

Maybe you’ll have to share example files of what you thought should work and someone will see why it doesn’t.

Thank u

yes I can see this would work for external views of a structure (like a house).
Unfortunately my projects are interiors so each view is a section which has to be created every time according to the internal layout of partitions and windows.
I wish there was a way to set the scene according to a rectangle drawn on a face, or according to the surface geometry of the model so that it would not require re-adjusting in Layout.

It’s basically the same, but might take some extra work in SketchUp. I did bathrooms and had a Dummy template for a few sizes. All the repetitive tasks ( naming scenes, adding section planes in SketchUp and matching viewports in the LayOut template ) can be done.
I had different templates in LayOut to choose from, one for quick communicating with some presenting scenes and one more condoc style with elevations etc . When the job was accepted and I needed some more information.

The key here is to have a ‘design scene’ in your SketchUp template that has the display sections disabled to start modelling. Existing models can be copy pasted, no need to copy camera positions.

My current thinking is that I might be able to achieve what I want by building a large box (cube) on a separate tag around my model that will always stay the same size. I can then create my section, zoom extents to the larger box, create the scene, then turn off the tag for the box. The key here is that by zooming extents to the larger box I will be able to ensure exactly the same viewport size in LO.
The caveat is that the model must never be bigger than the box in any direction of the viewing plane, or the zoom extents will change.

1 Like