Scan Essentials - Angled Clipping Box?

Hi Guys

Does anybody know whether it’s possible to create a clipping box in Scan Essentials with non horizontal & vertical edges.

I am trying to clip a 40mm deep section through a point cloud on a 4.5 degree slope as shown below.

Cheers, Kevin

Hi Kevin,

It is possible but not documented. The clipped volume is based on 6 planes which are stored in the definition of the Scan Essentials clipping box .

If you edit the definition and orient/move/scale these planes differently you will be able to create any box shape you want.

Regarding what you want to achieve, I recommend to create a simple cube component with 6 transparent faces. It will be easier to scale than the current one.

Also for information Scan Essentials component definitions are located in the su_pcp/skp_definitions folder.

Let me know if you need an example.

Jacques

1 Like

@kevin58

As Jacques mentioned, the clipping box is a 6 sided object. It is a component like any other that can be moved, scaled, and rotated to a position ideal for your viewing needs

SE_ClippingBox

1 Like

@ChrisDizon @Jacques

Thanks for your help Guys,

After a bit of experimenting with your ideas, I find the following workflow works well:

1. Use the ‘Create Clipping Box from Cloud Selection’ tool to create a Clipping Box at the approximate size and location required.

2. Use the SketchUp Scale Tool to size the Clipping Box to the exact dimensions I require.

3. Use the SketchUp Rotate and Move Tool to position the Clipping box as required.

Perfect!

Thanks again :grinning: