Scale orientation problem

That is weird… I scale it multiple times in diferent directions but allways with the native tool from sketchup… I believe that is impossible to skewit that way with that tool…
Well I end up doing it again.
Could it be that annoying bug that geometry goes to mars when you move while the autosave kicks in but this time with scale tool?

A lot of people use that rule. How much time have you spent trying to sort out the problem that workflow created with this component? I’m not trying to give you grief but from what we can see with the component you’ve uploaded, it looks like making it a component from the beginning would have avoided a whole lot of problems and saved a lot of time.

Already created a new one… but was really curious with the behaviour of this one… Many thanks to all of you.

As said the component is slightly skewed. Likely it was placed very close to on axis but not completely inside another group/component which in turn was scaled. If you right click it and select Reset Skew it will more or less keep its dimensions but scale tool will align to it.

I wasn’t aware scale tool behaved like this for skewed components, but it makes sense when you think about it. Everyday you learn something new.

When you draw a rectangle and then turn it into a group or component, the current Axes are used to create the bounding box. If you use the rectangle, it is automatically square (and forced along the axes)
Here, one square is drawn in the original Axes and the second after rotating the blue Axes 35 degrees:
square1

Bounding boxes correspond with the Scale.

Now if you were to scale both entities together, it ‘sk(r)ewes’ the one that is not aligned with that axes:

It doesn’t matter if it is a group or other entity like an edge or something, here I drew a short line (aligned with the axes) near the top left square:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.