Scale a closed extrusion

Hi, I have created a closed extrusion - ie an elongated doughnut. I want to scale the diameter of the extrusion about the centreline without changing the radius of the centre line. I have tried creating a section but can’t identify a centreline grip. All I want to do is to edit the diameter of the extruded material.?

Upload the SKP file so we can see exactly what you’ve got and what you are trying to do.

This is the model - I have tried grouping it and making it a component, - Have attached a file - I think

Rail.skp (1.0 MB)

OK. So this is like a piece of chain link and you want to use thicker wire. Is that correct? This is a pretty simple thing to model. The easiest way to do it is to erase the existing link geometry and draw a new circle for a profile to use with Follow Me. The centerline path is still inside the link so just don’t erase that.

I copied the path out of your first link and drew a new circle for a profile.

Hi Dave - Thanks, Thats what I figured out I would end up doing but thought that I should have been able to scale the extrusion as it was. Cheers. Chris.

I guess you could scale the extrusion as it is but the process would take considerably longer than drawing a new circle and running Follow Me.

redo of the follow me at the new diameter would be pretty easy, but if you wanted, you could run Fredo’s joint push pull on it if you can run that extension.

profile builder can also be a useful tool for changing profile without a re-do. just select the profile and enter new diameter. (paid extension)

1 Like