Saving the file in SketchUp

Good morning,

How is work saved and not lost? And how does it transfer over after renewing subscription? How does reaching the right one familiar in the forum knowledgeable depending on the level being used in the program?
Thanks
Barnes

Files are saved to wherever you want to save them! You can open them any time you want (as long as the version you are using is compatible with the saved version). There is no tie between your subscription and saved models.

1 Like

To Sketch up team,

Good morning, thanks for the help

Sorry what is meant by with “no tie between subscription and saved models”?

I assume the all work is saved automatically as long as I don’t have a lapse in my subscription. But at the same time, if there is 2 to 3 years put into a project, how do I make sure its not lost due to other technicalities?

Best regards

Jeff Brown

Mail](Outlook) for Windows 10

If you save your SketchUp model files to your computer, the only way they would be lost if if something happens to your computer.

Generally if you are worried about that sort of thing it is best to keep multiple copies of your files in several locations. You could save them to your Trimble Connect account along with on your computer locally. Maybe save to the 3D Warehouse, too. The more places you stash copies of your files, the less likely you are to lose them in case of some catastrophic event.

I wonder what type of subscription you have?
If it’s Pro, you have access to the desktop client.
Hit save and you’ll be prompted to save on any location on your computer.
If you have Shop, you are running the ‘premium’ modeller in a browser (Edge, Chrome, etc)
You still would be able to download the current working file on your machine as well as others that reside in Trimble Connect.
All files on Trimble Connect will stay there unless deleted by you (even then you could undo that, btw)
When your subscription is not prolonged, these files are still available, but you can no longer edit them in the premium modeller, just the Free version (with less possibilities or features)

How much did you pay?

good archiving practice will also save more than one filetype…

.skp + .dae + .wrl + .dxf + .stl would be a start to future proofing but the last will not save materials…

john

2 Likes

Dear Mike,

How are you, Thanks a lot for the good information

I have the “ProSketchup” format, and its working great for me. The only problem is its too good of product. Sorry, just a little satire. But it’s the best program I’ve seen on the market. The biggest challenge is trying to grasp everything
since its so sophisticated and a little intimidating. I paid $299 plus tax for the yearly subscription last year.

I am working on a hobby project, and hope to get the most out of Sketchup. I’m trying to prepare a layout for Museum (Interior and exterior).

Since this the program is new to me, if I get stuck on issues throughout the development of my
architectural layout for the hobby, can I reach out through forum or Sketchup team?

Thanks for the advise on “Saving” option

Have a great day

Best regards

Jeff Brown

Hi Dave

Good morning, Thanks for the great advise on Sketchup design

I think its clear now with how to “Save any work” . I just started the program, so it’s a learning curve. I should get more familiar after start using the program features

Thanks again

Best regards

Jeff Brown

Start here:

learn.sketchup.com
Campus section, fundamentals

1 Like

Hi John,

Good morning!

Thanks for the reply and help using Sketchup. It clear now with how to “Save any work” . I just started using the program. I should be more familiar after using the program soon.

Thank you

Jeff Brown

Thanks a lot ! Will do reviewing the Campus section Fundamentals, tutorials etc.

Best regards

Jeff Brown