Saving a sketchup file

hmm just tried to recreate the situation and now it’s the reverse - the original file updates and the backup file has lagged behind.
Go figure. Could it be that Sketchup 2022 is not reading my Operating System (Ventura 13.1) properly at this point until the new SketchUp version 2023 comes out? However, I seem to remember that even before I updated to the Ventura 13.1 OS it has alway been a somewhat disconnected system of trying to save my files for Sketchup.
Oh well it seems to be working now - so I’ll happily carry on. Thanks for all

When you do a Save, the ~ version of the file should take on the save time of the existing working document. The working document should now show the current time. Sometimes it can take Finder a moment to update things.

I did the Save As, overwrite the file. It does seem to hook up with its backup file ok. The Date Last Opened column becomes “–”, because it is now a file that has never been opened. Don’t think that matters much.

One other possible problem with the save as, click the file to get the name, it would be easy at that point to accidentally take on the name of the backup file. Soon after you would have a file with ~~ at the end of the name. You could look around to see if you have any such files, if you do, you may have picked up the backup file’s name in the past.

I’m really so frustrated. Thank you for trying to assist me. If I could give you some screen shots with the sequence of events, maybe it will shed some light on the problem:

This is where I had originally pointed layout to:

This is where LayOut seems to eventually insist it wants to point to. This is usually after I’ve done a few simple scene updates to my sketchup model. Then LO doesn’t like it any more:

Here’s the wrong file path that LO erroneously goes to:

Here’s the file path that I actually use and had originally set up LO to point to:

As you can see in my intended correct file path, there is only two files - one that is a backup with one ~, and the other is the original. So there really isn’t much of a chance that Im accidentally saving multiple ~~~ files

It’s to the point now that when I go to relink to the correct path, it just ignores my request.

Why use names like the C#2603/2603… kind?
There are two characters (# /) that I would not use and one of them is certainly not good practise (/) since it is used as a separator for underlying folders.
Especially layout is sensitive for having ‘correct’ filenames.

Thanks Mike, I’ll change it up and see if that makes a difference

So far so good. Changed the file name and relinked to the new file - everything’s back online. Hope this is the situation. Although simply changing the name of the file has worked in the past - maybe with a cleaner name LO will be happy.
I’ll know once I do some required modifications to the model and add new scenes for example if it goes offline again

If the LayOut file has lost its link to the real external SKP, it still has an internal copy of the SKP, which it will let you edit if it can’t find the original.

While editing the 287866596_ version of the file, you could do a Save As to a sensible folder, and remove the 287866596_ part of the name. Then, back in LayOut, Document Setup, References, you would relink the 287866596_ SKP to point to the one you had just saved. That would give LayOut a good link to an external file.

I think I wrote what you had gone on to do! Make sure you are not changing the name of the deeply buried in the Working folder file, because that is only a temporary file, it will go away when you close LayOut. You want to be lining to files that are in Documents, or some other standard location.

Understood Colin, thank you.
Thus far I have had some luck with changing the name of my ‘sensibly’ located file to a cleaner name without the /& symbols as Mike suggested. I wonder if this could have been the issue all along - that LO is ‘sensitive to file names’ with symbols, etc?