Request for Linux?

Thank you for the suggestion. While the SaaS version is cloud convergent I am missing some important features (Shortcuts and general usage!!!, Component editing and Ruby to name them). Not sure I will be left alone with my 10 year old files later on. That’s the main reason I prefer a desktop version.

My.sketchup is still in beta. Features will be added over time.

Keyboard shortcuts are there, though just the default ones. I miss my custom shortcuts too.

“Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google, based on the Linux kernel and designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.” (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system))

So, 81% of all people with access to computing seem to be outside Trimble’s market. Interesting.

Btw. Intel, Oracle, Dell/EMC/VMware, Adobe, Autodesk, Lightworks, MatWorks, Nvidia, Dassault Systèmes, Esri, RibbonSoft, BricSys, … can.

The majority of those who have requested a Linux version have indicated they expect to get it for free. Perhaps Trimble would be willing to create and support a Linux version if enough people were to put up the money in advance to pay the costs. I’d bet there aren’t enough people willing to do that, though.

“for free” (like free beer) vs. “free”.
I don’t believe Trimble’s owners would like to turn theirs into an organization in public interest.
So they would like to get paid for their work. That’s fair.
It could be old-fashioned license selling, a monthly/quarterly/yearly license subscription, service provision (e.g. my.sketchup), monetarization of user-created content, data analytics, … whatever.
For the moment and this application I’d prefer a monthly subscription fee for the full version. The Windows version non-expiring pro license btw. is reasonably priced for me, worth the money. Debian GNU/Linux should be supported of course :wink:

PS: beautiful gallery btw. :heart_eyes:

You are overlooking the fact that Android is an OS for mobile devices. To operate on mobile devices sketchup would need a radical redesign of the UI (hmm… my.sketchup?). The fact that Android is Linux based is irrelevant. So are the OS’s in my bluray player, thermostat, and home security system!

Your graph refers to mobile phones and tablets, not computers. I understand that in computers, the ratio is about 94% Windows, 5% Mac and 1% “Others”, including Linux. I don’t know how big a proportion of the 1% is Linux desktop systems, traditionally a very great part of Linux installations has been used as servers.

Anssi

I disagree with your point in regards to relevance, your (underlying) definition of a “computer” and the redesign argument. But I admit that with several display systems and renders around and ongoing developments providing the OS part represents far from the whole story. It seems that currently every computing device class has its own display system (heck, Linux can even run several display systems at the same time!). Anyway 3D support/performance with Unix and Linux based systems has always been outstanding. I’d start with X11 and switch later on with the mainstream: may it be wayland or whatever.

Edit: I see small companies providing fairly complex 3D software for a user base of <2000 users. They sell around 100€ per license. Would you agree that there would be more than 2000 Sketchup users using Linux out there?

Well then I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. As Anssi also noted, you are mixing apples and oranges to make your arguments.

Edit: By the way, one might get the impression from posts on this and similar topics that I am anti-Linux. That is far from the case, though I am not running a Linux machine at this time! I did my first installations of Linux nearly 24 years ago when Slackware was about the only distro around and I had to download a nonsensical number of floppy disks to do the install (I didn’t have a CD or DVD writer). I was deep into the guts, e.g. customizing device drivers to work with my hardware. I know what Linux is about and fully appreciate the free/open software community.

But I’m a realist: to persuade a for-profit, publicly-traded company such as Trimble to develop a new version, you have to convince them that there is an economic benefit using arguments the team leaders can sell to their management. It has been a long time since the SketchUp developers were a small team of entrepreneurs who would donate free time or burn through “Angel” investor capital to bring their dream to reality.

Good to know how a German reseller of Sketchup thinks. I’m thankful that there are other companies that actually create great software for markets of ~2000 users. Some of these have been in business for more than 20 years now.
It should be easy to find out the real numbers of potential Linux users for Sketchup. Why does Trimble not just web-poll all users? Or count the downloads / call homes from Linux machines? Has this been already done?

Yes. They have a marketing department, and have the numbers. (There is analytics built-into SketchUp and it’s web resource services.)

There are BaseCamp and DevCamp lecture videos on YouTube, in which they showed charts like above and talk about future “possibilities”.

But, as the company is publicly traded, it is against the law for employees to make definitive “forward looking statements” about business intentions.

So you will not get a yes or no (here) from a Trimble employee.

In place of this, sages, distributors, plugin developers, etc., are suggesting it’s unlikely, and you shouldn’t waste time waiting for something that only benefits ~2000 people. The last SketchUp team member lecture video I saw was talking about tens (or more) of millions of unique SketchUp installations worldwide.

There also would be analytics available for this forum, the SketchUp website, YouTube, 3D Warehouse, blog, … and my.sketchup too. OS, browser and location are just a few of the things that can be tracked.

Linux and Chromebook users ARE included in OS-neutral development of my.sketchup. This is part of the future. help it develop. I don’t believe it’s overly important to dwell on the current CPU and memory limitations of Android and such. That’s going to change, but I prefer the larger screens and mice available for desktop.

Brief computer history experiences of some forum members at What were your first few computers? is a good refresher on how far the hardware has progress. And another way of putting it, the people the current batch of Star Wars movies have more powerful computers in their pockets than those depicted on screen, especially the first crop of movies.

Thank you Dan and catamountain, great answers. If its 2M Sketchup users 1% GNU/Linux would be 20k. Make your numbers. I understand being old-style-corporate (or whatever you might call it) works at the root. We’ll see how sustainable this attitude is.

PS: you can use large screens and pointing devices with Android as well (there is a good chance your TV already runs Android or some sort of GNU/Linux), but who am I to defend Google here :wink:

I’m thinking past the foreseeable future and “seeing” something else. For now, I will be sticking with my desktop, and if I get around to releasing enough memory on my Chromebook, that too (although I can lower my.sketchup’s memory requirements, I would like to find the memory-gobbling app first.)

BTW, Chromebooks are passive cooled, and my version cost ~250 USD.

A viewer is a must for any decent computer program.

A SU viewer for every common operating system is available:

Win x64
Win x32
Mac OS
Android
iOS
all others

Actually, half said they’d pay full price. I already have paid for the Pro version and I can run the 2016 version inside Virtualbox.
Unfortunately, I can’t upgrade to the 2017 SketchUp because Trimble insists on better access to the graphics card.
(Which I am willing to live without, so I’m “stuck” with the 2016 Pro version.)

Trimble’s solution to Linux is announcing: “run it under Wine.” Wine’s summary for SketchUp 2017 is “garbage” because SketchUp won’t run at all under Wine, as of January 2017:

Manually installed .NET 4.5.2 in a 64bit wineprefix, then SketchUp installs flawlessly. Does not show up in application menus, and when program executable is run, it spits out errors and crashes before starting any interface.

I’m also interested into a Linux version. With all the security flaws that Windows have Linux becomes more attractive. The company for which I’m working was attacked by the WannaCry virus. A lot of data lost.

I’d love to try sketchup on Linux system. Actually, I haven’t any windows PC in our network.

I’ve heard @Barry had success running the new SketchUp Free (and myself). Though it’s probably not what you were thinking about. A pragmatic approach (any maybe philosophical) is to think about what now really makes the difference between SketchUp Free and a desktop app? What features would have to be added or improved to bring it to full satisfaction?
This question also applies to the Windows desktop version: If SketchUp Free runs on Windows, what justifies having a separate desktop version? And if this causes vehement opposition from Windows users, so is a desktop app actually so much different that some users merit it and some don’t?