[REQ] draw while orbiting

When an user pans or orbits a model while a custom tool is active, the draw method of the tool is not being called. Could SketchUp team consider adding “draw_orbit(view)” method too Tool class?

My tool draws a rectangle which helps user to position a camera taking a custom aspect ratio into account, but when orbiting, the rectangle is not drawn. Having an option to draw special content while panning/orbiting/zooming would be nice to have.

Because the custom tool is not active at that time, the native pan or orbit tool is the active tool.

You might need to implement a custom Pan or Orbit state in your Ruby Tool. Perhaps your plugin module (that wraps the Tool class,) has a tool observer to watch if your tool gets interrupted by Pan or Orbit, and if so, instead activates your custom tool’s Pan or Orbit state. Make use of a suspend() callback to save your’s tools other state data, and resume() which gets called when your observer reactivates your tool.

can’t you can just add a temporary translucent rectangle inside a group and delete it when done…

EDIT: just realised you probably mean something more like this…

but actually persisting the rectangle or slider as well as the aspect bars in my case…

john

I am not against having more nifty callbacks for Ruby tools. In fact at one time I was promoting the idea of us being able to program “interrupter tools” similar to Orbit and Pan, that are only active temporarily and resume the previous tool upon the ESC key.

See the old UI::Tool thread in the SketchUcation Developers > SKX forum.

So anyway,… +1 from me.

Yes. I would like to see the slider while orbiting in your example.

you can probably do that with view.refresh in a timer…

recent test show that it isn’t as costly as we have all been led to believe…

on a mac it even appears to speed heavy processes up…

john