Repeating Detail Extension

I’m using the grid extension tool to set out a building to standard coordinating UK brick lengths (see attached). The problem is to be ultra accurate the 225mm grid shown should account for mortar joints depending on the wall type. The grid shown only does so where it is a brick (215mm) + one joint (10mm) e.g. the 5175mm and 450mm dimensions. Where there is a wall with two external returns with no mortar on the ends, then 10mm should be subtracted e.g. the 4265mm wall. For openings, the coordinating size changes again and adds two mortar joints. The grid would need to constantly change which is impractical.

You will also notice on the image around the edges of the floorplan, a run of bricks and mortar joints. These are exported from Revit which has a tool that drags out ‘repeating details’ as you move the cursor, including bricks as well as blocks, roof tiles etc. This detail allows a reference to account for the correct dimension no matter the wall type.

Does anyone know if there is an extension in SketchUp that can do something similar? If not then could it be produced? In my mind it would work like the grid tool but drag out bricks/blocks instead of a grid (or any detail that can be drawn and then repeated). If no such tool is currently available it may be one that someone might want to produce. It would have a market for professionals so could be a paid for extension which I’m sure would sell quite well as it could also be used for 2d detailing, particularly if customisable to draw any repeating detail and not just bricks.! (Edit: I forgot the attachment!).

Repeating brick detail|690x349

Check out Profile Builder. I think it may be able to build what you are asking for without messing with the grid at all.

It may be begging the question but what do you want to achieve besides being able to draw individual bricks? Do you literally need to draw every brick and in 3D? Do you just need it in 2d plans or elevations?

As @TheOnlyAaron has pointed out, using the grid may not be the best way to do what you want.

Another point is that you only refer to stretcher bond but are you wanting to extend the capability to other bonds, like English or Flemish?

No draughtsman/technician/architect would do that, we initially design to a nice number along the lines of “it needs to 4500 by 3750 and then look up the nearest brick dim from one of these and adjust the runs to suit.

Any openings (CO+) or projections (CO-) would then be positioned/sized to suit.

I’ve lost count of how many dog eared or laminated co-ordinated brick tables I’ve seen in my life.

Thanks for the replies.

Profile Builder has to have a thickness applied (even if only a tiny figure) and I personally find it a bit awkward to use (down to me, not the extension which is great!). It would be good to have something as simple as the grid tool that you just drag out with some set patterns as wel the capability to create your own.

Simon, the main purpose is just a 2d reference for co-ordinating brick and block dimensions. It wouldn’t have any 3d requirements. I could also simply just copy and paste the required 2d brick image but i liked the way the Revit tool and SketchUp grid extension worked as they are so quick to use. I did also think however that it could be used for 2d detailing, which is also what the Revit tool can be used for.

Paul, some do try and design to coordinating sizes as it makes it easier for the brickies on site. On a tight site where every mm is needed it also helps. I have the Ibstock table which is what I’m using as a reference on the project in the image I attached.

I developed a tool for this:

I just snap at the right brick (edges of joints are hidden) or place guides accordingly.

K_V.skp (38,5 KB)

2 Likes

Interesting, it is in some ways a 3d version of what I’m describing.

It also just reminded me a plugin I bought years ago, Oob Layout (Oob plugin for SketchUp). I haven’t installed it in years but will give it another try.

The ‘module’ is based on the size of the header (not the stretcher!) and the vertical mortar joint . This works for most bonds, I believe.

On the jobsite, this actually has to be recalculated with the available bricks, off course, to prevent these kind of situations:
Schermafbeelding 2021-08-13 om 23.41.45

1 Like

I’ve only skimmed through the thread but there’s this extension…

nz_Bricks&Blocks

1 Like

Great, thanks for the suggestion. It seems to do exactly what I want and also allows for quick brick counts as well.