Render programs

To all,

Is the D5 COMMUNITY version free for all as per TWINMOTION for commercial use ?
I note some limitations with D5 COMMUNITY version on their price list, in that regard, does it still compare with TWINMOTION ?

It looks as if the D5 Community version has fewer assets available, but it still seems to have quite a number !
Maybe you could give it a try & see if it meets your needs ?

Thank you all guys. Very helpfull :smiley:
I’ll check D5 and twinmotion some better.

3 Likes

twinmotion can render without ray tracing/path tracing. It’s simply a step up to have it and yes that 1060 is long in the tooth. I can only imagine how old and slow the CPU is for CPU rendering…

At this point, I would never go back to a cpu render engine. It’s simply not worth the minor quality uplift compared to GPU rendering and the massive time to render via CPU. I used to have an 80 core CPU server for rendering that I could use it to heat my apt (and did)… Now I just have a current video card and it’s done in real time to near real time. If you are going to do CPU rendering then you should have a massive CPU core machine. Something like a threadripper or have a distinctly separate machine that can be rendering only and not your main machine. Used machines are cheap these days. Think dell workstation or something along those lines.

To the other open question about D5, the free version has a smaller library of assets and materials and, I believe, a resolution output limit - which I believe was still high of something like 2k or 4k to not be a serious limitation. Check their website.

The current twinmotion has some notes about watermarking images on the free version but I don’t know the details or exact stipulation.

That’s not true, I’ve used V-Ray on my M1 Max MacBook Pro with 8 performance cores and 2 efficient cores, I get very decent times, the longest a render has taken is 30 mins, the same render using gpu in my windows desktop took 12 mins.

1 Like

i recommend bella render is free, intuitive and easy to use, unless you require renders above 4k quality if a license is required, render times are 4 to 10min in 1.5 to 2k quality and the results are very good (using the free mode you will get a small watermark*).
you do not require a computer with a graphics card as it is cpu based*.

Yea there are a lot of factors but it goes both ways but certainly it can go longer and will go longer the GPU rendering to the point of being a major workflow consideration and heaven forbid you make a mistake in it and have to redo it or you are rushing for a client…

You can also end up with render times like this (check the bottom) and I guarantee I can find some old ones that stretch into day+ renders.

That 80 core machine I had sped up renders by something like 75% faster. It was so great until GPU rending became a thing.

D5 is excellent and free for the non-Pro version. I switched to D5 from Twinmotion a few months ago as D5 is so much faster at outputting video than Twinmotion. Give it a try you wont be disappointed.

FREE, with these restrictions:
There does not exist a separate Bella demo build – rather, the standard installation will function in “demo” mode, whenever it does not find a valid license file on the machine. In this mode, a few restrictions are in effect:

• Output resolution is limited to 1080p (1920x1080, by area).
  • A small ‘bella’ watermark is rendered at lower-left on the image.
  • Resume-rendering and merging capabilities are deactivated.
2 Likes

is a great rendering system perhaps better than vray, cycles in terms of time and quality. for students is great because you don’t need to invest in quality software

D5 render…free version is the best option

I use Indigo. I HAD to use Indigo. Why? I tried the free trial versions of 6 rendering applications, and Indigo was the only one that could render my 375MB file (2X that before the major compression in SU 2022) to this:

What’s more. Indigo did it with easy steps within SU itself, then launched and finished the operation automatically. It wasn’t fast, but I discovered a way to slice hours off the final .jpg file by exporting it after a couple of hours, then increasing the resolution in free Apple Preview to 300dpi form default 72dpi. With slight cropping, this became a 36"W X 18"H poster, suitable for printing by DocuCopies.com: https://www.docucopies.com/ and framing.

Pretty neat! :smile:

I use TwinMotion. It used to be free for non-commercial use, I’m not sure anymore. But unlike most software these days you can buy a perpetual license for $750 and it comes with one year of updates. Not sure how much updates are after that. They are also adding features all the time which trickle their way in from the Unreal Engine.

i made a big render with rhino and bellarender like 900mb

1 Like

Though I use Thea Render myself, I’ve recently been surprised by the render output of Raylectron considering it’s price… quite a bang for the buck at $99.95. An alternative to look at. One time permanent license fee, free tech support and updates.
Raylectron pricing and conditions

although to be honest it is not about the tool but who knows how to use it.

Nice! What plugin is that?

Nice! What plugin is that?

LightUp. Available on mac and windows from the website: https://light-up.co.uk and soon there should be an updated demo on the SketchUp Extensions Warehouse.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with Rhino file compression vs. SU file compression. It would be interesting to know which compresses more so file size could be more accurately compared when it comes to performance issues and third party products like renderers.

Thanks!