Renaming components

componentname
name
entityinfo
components

Changes to a DC’s attributes or structure can break the instance update in the option dialog, Using Name or changing the attribute dialog header can do this too,

If you want to have the instances to update in the option field you need to delete the spoilt instances in your example and drag them in from component home tab and add a instance name.
I scale definition of the “Objects_c1m” instance, so to keep its current size before deleting and reinserting it
SB - 2018 Model fix.skp (1.3 MB)

Its a matter of understanding the definition, instances and the repercussions of changing the attributes of an instance

Hi,
Thank you to both for responding.

pcmoor - in the meanwhile and out of desperation, I tied the old CAD faithful method … saved the DC, in its own drawing deleted all instances in the drawing purged components, materials & layers, and brought it back in … as if it was the “first time”.

Should make it clear, (to other users who may read this in future), that this method should only be attempted at the start of a drawing or project … or other DC’s instances definitions … in an evolved drawing will be lost. As you pointed out in your much simpler and less destructive method, " … I scale definition of the “Objects_c1m” instance, so to keep its current size before deleting and reinserting.".

Thank you… was very helpful and saved me time & helps so much in Generating Reports!
S.

Hi,

Solved one issue only to discover another…

In order to be able to use Generate Report the way Aaron describes in the referred video. The elements can only be components and not DCs. And now I remember why I changed the “Object Name” !

Why?
Because as you alter the Instance name … and SK alters the “Object Name” … the formulas of subcomponents that refer to this “Object Name” will not change accordingly … thus breaking the formula !

Causing report generation to be chaos … and not as clean as indicated in the video.

In the example below try changing the material of the first DC and then the others which are “copies” … but with a different Instance name … they no longer work !

stairs.skp (296.0 KB)

Sure this example is stairs … and probably could be constructed in a different way but what about more complex DCs like doors ? (D1 will not be equal to D2 - different sizes and materials)

In my opinion, this makes trying to create “BIM” in SK almost useless.
Any suggestions ?

or SK … please fix this a.s.a.p!

Best regards,
S.

If you are trying to implement IFC into SketchUp and dynamic components, I would suggest another approach, because the information that you store in the IFC-fields in the DC won’t get exported, the right way. See this thread:

If exporting to IFC, the components all need to be unique, so instance names won’t do it effectively, only definitions…

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the response.
However, IFC is not the concern in this post.
In the example of the previous post, I happened to have already included this classification. But it could just as well not have been there.

The issue is strictly to do with DC attributes and how changing the Instance name changes the Object’s Name, which will no longer correspond to the subgroups \ component’s original formula.

In this case \ example … changing the DC’s \ parent’s … Material.

BR,
S.

Ok, no ifc specific, but you have a point here and the developers @sketchup should reconsider the DC, IFC export etc.
I know, some would rather abandon the DC, because the lack of further development/buggy behavior but it is here, so why not improve:)

Wow … “abandon the DC” … !? Hope @sketchup don’t go that way.

After all, I have worked with ArchiCAD & Revit … (prefer SK hands-down !!!), and both employ or have evolved based on “DC objects”. Drawing something once, and changing it’s properties without having many components is the “lost golden city” of all CAD & 3D; not to speak of file sizes.

Particularly at design stage which is SK’s strength.
i.e. when we start designing we don’t know what any element will be at final stage … having a cube that can be anything (slab, beam, column, wall) … or a door or window that can be any size … means one is concentrating on the design … not which product to use.

Agreed … please … improve … improve … improve !
S.

in regards to the stairs
use the generic term “parent” instead of its name “Stair01”, so =parent!Material works on any instance where the parent label is changed

Hi, thank you for the feedback.

So, am I to understand that “parent!” is an SK “constant” that can be applied ?
Or is it just a simple way of renaming ? ( could just as well have used =xyz!Material ?)

And should be noted … in the Generating Report one loses the ability of Identifying the componet in “Entity name” (i.e. Stair01 will be reported as “parent”)

S.

Thnak you in advance.

sergioflorespereira https://forums.sketchup.com/u/sergioflorespereira
July 10

pcmoor:

parent!

Hi, thank you for the feedback.

So, am I to understand that “parent!” is an SK “constant” that can be
applied ?
Or is it just a simple way of renaming ? ( could just as well have used
=xyz!Material ?)

And should be noted … in the Generating Report one loses the ability of
Identifying the componet in “Entity name” (i.e. Stair01 will be reported as
“parent”)

S.

Thnak you in advance.

Visit Topic https://forums.sketchup.com/t/renaming-components/26267/29
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To
pcmoor https://forums.sketchup.com/u/pcmoor
July 4
in regards to the stairs use the generic term “parent” instead of its name
“Stair01”, so =parent!Material works on any instance where the parent label
is changed

Visit Topic https://forums.sketchup.com/t/renaming-components/26267/29
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
https://forums.sketchup.com/email/unsubscribe/5bae23a2d7a0a9ad3dc1ea1a819a0112a0b5fe3573de763e744a7760254a97f4

you reference the parent with =parent!material, without changing the parent label, so this works regardless of the parent label, which changes with the instance
stairs (2).skp (295.8 KB)

Hi @pcmoor

Wow thank you! (You have just blown my mind … )
I really had no idea one could reference in such an "indirect/abstract way ".

Beggs the question, in a DC’s subcomponent structure, will parent only refer to one level up or only to the top level ?

Are there other indirect/abstract ways to work within DCs or DC formulas?
(I don’t mean "predefined attributes or supported functions or operators)

Can one refer to “siblings” etc ?

I ask this because I have not seen this ability referenced anywhere in SK’s DC documentation.

BR,
S.