Removing SU from a computer and installing on another

I recently obtained a new Dell Inspiron 17 (5749) laptop computer as a replacement for an older Dell Precision M6600 mobile workstation. The Inspiron specs are:
Intel HD Graphics 5500 and an nVidia GeForce 840M integrated display adapter setup, running SU 2015 64-bit on Windows 8.1.
Processor: Intel Core i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM: 8 GB
System Type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor
(I’m aware of the issues surrounding the Intel 5500 and have already posted about this as well as submitted a request to SU tech support.)

I just opened the box containing the Inspiron one day ago and immediately performed a fresh download of SU 2015 which was installed immediately.

I have been unsuccessful in getting SU 2015 to open with the various toolbars in the locations where I position them. I have attempted to correct this 7 times and decided to contact SU about this rather than to continue a futile effort.

A few other items of note related to this:

1. All of the many plugin extensions that were used with SU 2015 on my older Dell Precision machine have now been removed from the Inspiron.
  2. None of the addon extensions have been reinstalled. The only toolbars currently associated with the software now are the native SU tools.
  3. Of special note: I have only purchased two plugins previously through the Extension Warehouse, Dibac and Profile Builder 2 (both now removed). When I attempted to load PB2 onto the new Inspiron, I received a dialog box message indicating that “Profile Builder 2 is not licensed”. This statement is not true because the extension was paid for, but I am not able to install it on the Inspiron for some reason.
  4. I removed SU 2015 from the computer and performed a new reinstall from the exe file downloaded from the SketchUp website resulting in the same conditions as already described.

The loss of time and the inconvenience is frustrating. It seems reasonable to expect that the software and any extensions should be seamlessly removed from one computer and applied to another. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

With regard to the toolbars, did you try positioning them as you want them and then saving the file? If you reopen the saved file it should be in the same configuration (and for every other file thereafter).

In terms of plugins, unfortunately SketchUp does not remember which plugins you had on a previous PC. Before SketchUp 2013 you could simply drag and drop from the previous version plugin folder to the new one. From SketchUp 2014 you have to reinstall all your plugins from the Extension Warehouse which is a bit of along winded process if you have a lot of them. Don’t be tempted to drag and drop however as many will not install correctly. Incidentally if you have custom components and materials from your old PC these will also need to be reloaded however these can be simply copied to the new PC in the corresponding folders.

As for Profile Builder 2 (or any previously licensed plugins) you will have to repeat the license authorisation process you did the first time. Check the email you received when you purchased the plugin for the procedure.

if the same main version of SU is used (2015 > 2015) you may want migrate your SU settings incl. the positions of toolbars by using our free SU support tool ‘BackUp Prefs’ f. Windows (only). No installation, just download to e.g. your Windows desktop an run.

Any plugins you downloaded through the Extension Warehouse can be easily re-installed through the Extension Warehouse again. Log in with the same credentials that you used before and the Extension Warehouse will show you which plugins you had installed earlier.

After logging in you will see a list of plugins sorted by the SketchUp version they are compatible with. On the line that says ‘SketchUp 2015 Compatible Extensions’ (grey bar) you can also find a link ‘Install all’. Same applies to the SCF plugin store too.

If there are any plugins left you may try to copy the corresponding RB-files (and folders) from

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\SketchUp\Plugins

of the old system to the new system, maybe better one-by-one…