Really small type

Hi! I bought a ebook online SketchUps Basics and I’m learning, but I’m I’m having trouble with the type being too small to read (on the dimensions) when I print it out. I mean it’s really small I’m a woodworker so dimensions are really important. I’m a Mac guy and printing on a HP Laser Jet. Tried boosting the font size in the Template, 14 pt. but no help at all

Thanks, Pete

Are these dimensions that are shown in images in the book? If so, they are very probably part of the image and so wouldn’t be impacted by a change in font size. You could zoom in on the images with dimensions and print those sections separately.

or you can annotate pdf’s in Preview using a bigger font and print those out…

john

1 Like

DaveR http://forums.sketchup.com/users/daver SketchUp Sage
April 6
Are these dimensions that are shown in images in the book? If so, they are very probably part of the image and so wouldn’t be impacted by a change in font size. You could zoom in on the images with dimensions and print those sections separately.

Visit Topic http://forums.sketchup.com/t/really-small-type/23184/2 or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here http://forums.sketchup.com/t/really-small-type/23184/unsubscribe. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences http://forums.sketchup.com/my/preferences

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply. No, these drawings are from a lesson in the book (my homework) ( SketchUp For Woodworkers the basics by Timothy Killen) I was supposed to copy it by drawing it. Turned out great until I tried to print it, then came the really small print. These were my dimensions I created. So, I don’t know. I clicked on your site. Did you build all those beautiful pieces? Really Very nice. That style really appeals to me. The first lesson in the book explains how to build your own custom template, that’s where I set the type size. Maybe I did something Wrong, any more ideas? Oh, another problem I ran into. The lesson was to follow the instructions to draw a magazine rack. Pretty simple but, not for a beginner. It should have been but I couldn’t get this one part to work as the book said. I made two sides to sides to the rack. Then next I was to draw the top and bottom shelf. Well, the I the top shelf but not exactly according to the directions. They said to draw a guide line for position then draw a line and use the push pull tool to make it the width of the shelf. Well I couldn’t push pull that line at all. If you put the cursor on the line it shows a tiny circle with a line through, like a NO sign. So I finally used the line tool to draw the rectangular top. The bottom shelf was the same problem. I thought maybe it’s because I have a Mac. I’m sure you have a lot of better things to do than to answer my stupid questions. It will come to me.

Again I really enjoyed looking at your site, you are very creative and talented! Iv’e got three projects I’m planning to build. Two different tables (Shaker Style) and an Arts & Crafts style Mantel clock, some cherry and others Mahogany.

Anyway Thanks again!

Pete or Bear

It would be interesting to see what you’re getting. Could you share the SKP file? [quote=“Bear, post:4, topic:23184”]
They said to draw a guide line for position then draw a line and use the push pull tool to make it the width of the shelf.
[/quote]
Are you exporting as PDFs? Make sure your drawings fill the SketchUp window.

Thank you. I have built a few but most are models of pieces built by others.

Which style is that?

I wonder if that is a typo. Push/Pull only works on faces, not edges. Perhaps you were to draw a rectangle? When the Push/Pull tool looks like this…

… it means there’s no single face under the cursor for Push/Pull to work on.

It’s good you found a way around it. Some people would just give up.

I’m sure it’s not because you have a Mac. It’s probably something else. Maybe you weren’t holding your mouth right. :wink: :smiley:

Thank you, again.

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. If you want to share your SKP file, I’d be happy to take a look and see what I can see. You can upload it using the Upload button at the top of the text window. If you’d rather not share it publicly, you can send it in a private message by clicking on the prairie dog wearing the bowler and then Message.

I fixed it, I guess . Saved it as a pdf then changed fonts to helvetica. But the big difference was setting in the print box to Vector printing, everything is really sharp. But the funny thing is the type seems to be in perspective like the drawing. As the drawing gets to the front the type gets larger, but you can’t see it on screen. Some type had to be downsized so that it didn’t interfere with other type, but you can’t see it on the monitor just on the print. If you try to zoom in to see the type better type doesn’t get larger, wierd!! Anyway here’s the file it’s not the magazine rack I told you about. I’m still working on that. This is an asignment in the book, to draw this file from the book, doesn’t look like much.

Cheers to you, Pete

workbench 1.skp (51 KB)

I’m glad you got it to work.

Regarding the appearance of the dimensions, one thing you could do is change the dimension orientation. You have them aligned with the dimension lines which is what Tim probably suggested. I find it makes some dimensions difficult to read, though.

Under Window>Model Info>Dimensions, you can set them to align with the screen instead and make them more easily read.