Real-world connected SketchUp models

Controlling SketchUp models by using sensors was fun, as you can see in this movie:https://www.instagram.com/p/B_iWvg5HM7p/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

What was even more fun, was attaching the same sensors to my son’s toys and see their orientation in a real-world connected 3d model I created on the web, as you can see in this movie: https://youtu.be/BXAZwarhyT8

Now, all of this is very conceptual. I can imagine a few usecases where your SketchUp models would (as) real-time (as possible) respond to real-world events. Having the latest status of anything measurable in the context you are designing in does look valuable to me. It… might put things in… perspective, doesn’t it?

I am looking for parties that have data laying around, currently showing it in tables or charts, that are interested in showing that data in their SketchUp models, as it happens.

The obvious application i can think of is for builders or landscapers to set out stuff (driveways, paths, fencing) with a piece of “chalk” with a designer at a laptop going “nope, a little to the left…bit more…yep thats it.”
Trimble & Leica have some high end survey stuff that can do it, but a simple version using SU and a smartphone would be a gamechanger.
Ive seen guys do it when setting out templates for granite countertops, but their equipment was a smaĺl box running a basic cad template program and their chalk was physically connected to the box with a cable.

Does the technology have wireless capability?

I have seen the same thing once before, really great technology! Now, I am not focusing too much on this type of sensor, but more on the idea of having any type of sensor value, available directly in SketchUp (or other CAD, since I do more than SketchUp). I am thinking of liquid levels, space occupations, co2 , temperature, humidity, … levels, …

Both movies in my starter post are actually wireless, in that way that the data is transmitted wireless. The power still went over cable. The first movie features me updating the orientation of a Component Instance, based on the orientation of a sensor. In the second movie I update the orientation of 2 toy cranes in a 3d web dashboard. In the latter, the data actually goes from the sensor over the internet toward the 2 connected clients (laptops).

Another possibility I see that is more linked to this orientation sensor and is to measure the actual orientation in 3 axes of anything you want to measure, place the sensor on it, click a button, and update the orientation of a face in SketchUp.

I see potential (if my comprehension is accurate) in monitoring equipment that is obscured from view - say, under water. If an environment was mapped and with the sensors fixed to an autonomous device(s) the location of the device(s) could be observed from any perspective within that environment - is that correct?

Well. I believe I have to put things a bit more in perspective. My goal is not to measure orientation only. My goal is to show sensor data in (as) realtime (as possible) in SketchUp, whether it being an orientation sensor, or temperature sensor, or pressure sensor, or… you name it

IOT: the internet or things? Or of? :slight_smile:
The biggest problem is how to connect all (wired,cabled) and be sure that it is the right one (we need some blockchain technology)

Cad connected IoT.

Not sure if we need blockchain to make IoT better, since the intention of blockchain is more to specify that something (virtual) belongs to someone (or, well, someone’s wallet), without the need for an authority to say so. You can trust the blockchain because it is so distributed: f.e. if 200 people say that a house is yours and 2 say not, it is more probable that the house is yours. So, instead of having 1 authority with all the power to say something it is yours, it is… the community.

Now, regarding IoT, that is becoming pretty mature. Right now the sensor is wifi connected, but i am researching alternatives, such as lorawan and something google launched with their open threads technology

Are you familiar with National Instruments? They hook up all manner of real world sensors to their own graphic software called LabVIEW.
They always use a very “laboratory-centric” vocabulary … but make no mistake, if a sensor exists … NI knows how to hook up to it. Reviewing what they do … and how they do it … may give you some ideas … particularly on the hardware side.

That looks interesting.