Ray's SketchUp modeling with 3D Scanner

Hello everyone.

I am Ray from South Korea working at CBT Solutions, a Trimble SketchUp ATC distributor.
We work on a variety of outsourcing tasks to train SketchUp skills in a variety of industries.

In this gallery, I would like to introduce SketchUp modeling work using Point Cloud acquired with 3D Scanner.

• 3D Scanner: Trimble TX5, TX8, SX10, X7, Geoslam
  • SketchUp Version: 2016 ~ 2020
  • SketchUp Extension: Undet for SketchUp
  • Modeling Accuracy: Less than 5cm (Barge excluded)

[Terrain modeling at Seoul Olympic Park]

[Barge Modelling]

[Modeling penguin village in Gwangju, Korea]

[City Regeneration Project - Traditional Market -]

s01

[National Gugak Center Reverse Design]

I will upload more content in the future. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Looks great! Thank you for sharing your work.

Could you share some statistics (face count, model size etc.) through an example project?
Scene looks very dense and considering SketchUp known for not handling such high-poly counts, how responsive is the viewport?
Meshes look very clean, do you generate them from point-cloud automatically (or how much manual editing falls into)?

Hi, filibis
I will reply to your question below.

1. Model Statistics
    [Edges / Faces / File Size]
    Terrain modeling at Seoul Olympic Park: 1,258,613 / 839,063 / 143MB
    Barge Modelling: 272,740 / 85,746 / 15.9MB
    Modeling penguin village in Gwangju, Korea: 435,303 / 228,131 / 68.7MB
    City Regeneration Project - Traditional Market -: 973,884 / 540,503 / 82.9MB
    National Gugak Center Reverse Design: Edges/Faces 230,279 / 109,259 / 20MB

2. Viewport
    My work was easily viewport controlled in SketchUp.
    However, when PointCloud is displayed in the viewport, it becomes difficult to control.
    I controlled the viewport in such a way as to reduce the number of PointClouds or to make the section box only partially visible.

3. Mesh Creation
    The terrain can be created automatically by Undet for SketchUp.
    And buildings have to be built by myself considering the average location according to the distribution of the point cloud.

I hope my answer has helped you.

2 Likes

[Additional work image fot National Gugak Center Reverse Design / Part.1]

ps_02

2 Likes

[Additional work image fot National Gugak Center Reverse Design / Part.2]

u04

3 Likes

[Additional work image fot National Gugak Center Reverse Design / Part.3]

3 Likes

[ Modern Architecture Preservation Project - Thermal power plant and boiler room]

03662E4C51B9D906084513

• Historical Report

• Kubity

• Movie Clip
  • 360 Movie Clip

More information: http://cbtsolutions.co.kr/?p=510, http://cbtsolutions.co.kr/?p=870

The project featured in this post was featured on the SketchUp Blog as the first study case in the APAC region. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

12 Likes

Very impressive work! Thanks for sharing!
Do you think in the near future it would be possible that all meshes would be created automatically?

Wow, that’s amazing, and a lot of work! What do you use for generating animation/walk through?

In general, irregular shapes such as terrains and caves can be automatically meshed.
And shapes with standard specifications such as pipe and steel structure can also be easily made with a little effort.
However, I think that it is difficult to create a mesh automatically because buildings have to be modeled as planes instead of irregular triangles, even if there is noise in the point cloud.
I suspect that artificial intelligence technologies will solve this problem in the future.

2 Likes

I use Twinmotion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Ray, do you also execute for third parties? I mean, if I send you the mesh, would you be able to to get me back the SketchUp 3D model?

Hi Fabio

We appreciate your interest in our work and thank you for your comments.

We are based in Seoul, South Korea and it is always a pleasure cooperating with people in finding better outcomes and solutions.
With regard to your question, it would be more efficient to process if you could provide us with Point Cloud mesh.
However, if you do only have the mesh, could you please send us a snapshot of your mesh?
After carefully examining your mesh, we will be able to tell you whether we can help you.

The 3D scanners are so awesome! I haven’t gotten to try one yet. You have very professional modeling skills.

Ray, Your work is first rate!!
Can I ask a few questions?:

1. For pipes, does Undet extract them (their face or centerline)? If not, do you have any tips on doing that (I just got Undet)?
  2. On your 2D construction drawings (with dimensions), are you importing your Sketchup drawings into AutoCad and then dimensioning?
  3. Lastly, can you recommend a renderer for SketchUp (in the $500 range)?
    Rick

Hi, Rick.

Firstly, thank you so much for your interest and questions.
I do really appreciate it. Thank you.

So here are the answers to your questions.

1. Please allow me to explain briefly about the project before I answer your first question.
    The factory was built in 1930s when Japanese invaded us. Therefore, the factory system was influnced by Japansese engineers and it was significantly different to how Koreans built things in that period.
    Unfortunately, The Korean War damaged the factory and it was very difficult to restore it(pipes as well).

So, to answer to your first question, we didn’t use Undet to generate the pipes. We worked with a number of professors in Korea and got the reference from them and used 3skeng plug-in to make them.

1. Yes, we exported a DWG file from SketchUp into AutoCad and we edited it(including Dimensioning).

2. I think it is very difficult to buy a renderer within that budget. But I do know that fact that if you can spend a bit more, I think Podium can be a good option and Thea can be a good choice.

I hope you find the right product and I wish all the best with your work.

Please do not hesitate to ask me if you have any questions!

Ray, Seoul.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to take you up on your offer to ask questions. I’m just starting to work with point clouds and trying to figure everything out (scanning (Faro M70), reality capture (Recap Pro), Undet, SketchUp with point cloud, SketchUo to AutoCad).

Hello,
sorry for my delay in replying but now I have a concrete project to share. I have the final point cloud and I want to ask your help to generate the Sketchup model. It is a house of 1500 cube meters. Would that be possible? Could you provide me a quote? How can we communicate?
Thanks so much and looking forward to your answer.

Best regards
Fabio

Hello Fabio

It’s been a long time as you said, but I’m happy to contact you again.
It is better to communicate with each other through e-mail.
Please let us know what you think by email at bh.eom@cbtsolutions.co.kr and we will reply.

We are pleased to discuss the collaboration with you and look forward to helping each other.

Best regards
Ray

[Air Force Academy Library Reverse Design]

More projects will be posted soon. :sunglasses:

5 Likes