[Quiz] What Is It?

A jack to lift …
On the left it’s adjustable in three positions. Then, when pushing down the handle its (the handle’s) position can be fixed by the metal piece when the left side with load is lifted to height.

2 Likes

This is clearly a small scale “one man” trebuchet, carried by individual infantry soldiers onto the battlefields of medieval Europe, most likely used to hurl grapefruits, cabbages, and pithy insults.

2 Likes

1 Like

A trebuchet guillotine!

Just kidding, it’s an image exported from a SketchUp model, that’s what it is.

3 Likes

You will confess to anything when questioned with that.

Larger versions were used in castles to hurl cows.

1 Like

Perhaps next @DaveR will model a large wooden badger…

3 Likes

I would say its a jack with 3 fulcrum points allowing for multiple initial lifting elevations. The pivot pin is cleverly retained by the wooden board, while the steel stirrup holds the compound side of the lever in place as in a ratchet! Only guessing as based on the components as I’ve never seen anything like it. Good fun guessing though.

2 Likes

It is a wagon jack.

I always enjoy your “doodles”, DaveR

1 Like

This is great! While reading through the thread the thought came to me. It’s for cracking walnuts! Thats my guess but in all seriousness I agree with some that it is a jack.

Big walnuts! :smiley:

2 Likes

I like the skunk painter idea best. Of course if the skunk is helping fix a wagon then that is even better. :wink:

It is a steel star post remover! Lever principle

Dave, I think it is some kind of jack with three lifting positions. The U shaped metal rod is for locking the jack in position under load, although its would be much better to provide a ratcheting lock on the front edges (two narrow vertical faces) on the center posts. The leg for the ratchet in this car would be wood pivoting off the handle just underneath the curved section. I can sketch it up if you like and of course if I am correct in tis main function !
– Either way thanks for your contribution
R Stanley

Thanks. As I wrote elsewhere, it is drawn as the original was built. Feel free to redesign it if you like. The original suited the purpose as designed and they are all but obsolete now so I wouldn’t put much effort into a new design.

Someone posted the right answer too soon, quite early in the thread, so people have decided to ignore him and to continue having their fun.

2 Likes

hillarious

2:10 & 5:20

2 Likes