Questions and thoughts about SU

Some open thoughts about SU, from someone who is recently back learning how to use SU, and soaking up a lot of YouTube video’s!

1 I’m running two versions, 2017 SU Make, and SU Free on web. I like the web version as it’s easy to switch between laptops, convenient to have files on cloud storage. But lag and sometime very slow response is frustrating. 2017 Make - well I cant load it on my work lap top which is also really inconvenient!
2 Not wishing to labour the point, but lack of Extensions in the web based version is really disappointing!
3 I don’t mind paying the subscription for web base Shop, but it’s not clear to me what’s included. Extensions? Joking aside, is Solid tools included in Shop? So, should I dedicate my time in SU 2017 Make, or a web based version?
4 But more than anything else, my major concern is the time I’m prepared to put into learning to use SU. Might I regret my patience to learn how to use SU when Trimble change conditions, pricing or features provided in SU software. Is my time suffering the frustration to learn how to use SU well invested? Should I invest my time in an alternative modelling environment like F360 for example?
5 I really enjoy using and playing around with SU, used for general DIY projects, woodworking, and a big project to sketch out the house, gardens, internals etc. So SU is ideal for this type of modelling. With early retirement very much in mind, I’m already looking at routers and 3D printers to add to my interest in learning and using SU.

Rant over - clear there are no right or wrong answers here! But I wonder what happened to Google’s original strategy which presumably was to make freely available a comprehensive set of modelling tools available to all, with the aim of modelling the world in SU/Google managed formats.

I think you misunderstand Google’s motivation. They wanted to fill Google Earth with 3D buildings and thought giving out free copies of SketchUp would make that happen. They believed the revenue stream from other sources would offset their cost of owning SketchUp. But it turned out that many of the buildings were badly made and also they found other means to create 3D content, so they sold SketchUp to Trimble.

2 Likes