Question on spiral tutorial by Kito Raupp

In this excellent tutorial on how to make a spiral within a torus I would love to know HOW the spiral is created from the selected torus of disconnected lines. All I see being used is the the selection key with a MINUS sign. When this is applied to a spot on the selected torus the spiral appears! Firstly I would like to know how to created the MINUS sign with the selection tool (the arrow tool) and secondly if the lines are disconnected how is the spiral formed? This is the link to the video: Spirale Tutorial - YouTube The part that baffles me occurs 1min 55seconds from the start. Kind regards Peter Martin

The minus indicates the Select tool is set up to deselect whatever you click on. To get that, hold Ctrl and Shift together. To deselected the string of connected but unwelded line segments, triple click to deselect all attached.

To select the entire helix before running Follow Me, he triple clicked on it without holding any modifier keys.

He should have corrected the face orientation before applying the material.

Thank u very much indeed for this help. In another of Kito Raupp’s tutorials (doughnut helix) could u say how he manages to get the spiral helix when the segments are not joined. As far as i can see none of the small segments that make up the torus touch. youtube video: Doughnut Helix - YouTube Kind regards Peter Martin

They actually do touch, though. So it’s easy enough to do the same thing he did in the other video. He selected all of the big torus and then, while holding Ctrl and Shift, triple clicked on one line segment to delete all the connected segments.

Here’s a sample. The selected segments are the first set of copies of the originals.

And here, I’ve triple clicked on one segment to select all of the connected ones.

thank you so much for your time and great explanation. kind regards peter martin

I have come upon this video by Kito Raupp also. The weird bit for me happens at 11, 12, 13 seconds into the video. I can replicate it but I can’t figure out why it works. It’s almost like he exploits a quirk which shouldn’t happen - to use the rotate tool in one plane, yet affect the geometery in the plane perpendicular to that plane! Something to do with rotating connected cardinal points me thinks, but even then, how does it work! Very clever: