Question on layers with regards to Groups and Components

Heh, we’re starting to get a bit metaphysical now. Is Layer0 the layer version of antimatter because it represents the lack of a layer? :slight_smile: In any event, I think your characterization of it is fairly accurate.

2 Likes

An anti-layer would be different from no layer though :stuck_out_tongue: .

However, I’d like for Layer0 to be called None (maybe written in italics to differentiate it from an actual layer by the same name). Layers should be called tags or labels or something similar. Layer0 just means the object is tagged/labeled.

1 Like

iff layers in SU are considered to be visibility indicators than ‘None’ also has ambiguous meaning …

it has no tangible benefits over using ‘Layer0’, pronounced correctly is layer zero

if you wish to encourage [what is deemed to be] ‘correct’ use of layers then ‘Geometry Layer’ or ‘Drawing Layer’ would be more descriptive titles…

makes more sense to more people, than either ‘Layer(zero)’ or ‘None’…

john

2 Likes

That’s a really great idea! I was thinking “Drafting table” when I was thinking about renaming, and then I saw this.

1 Like

I think that knowing the technical fact that “Layer0” (like the “default material”) really signifies “none applied” is not useful to non-programmers. SketchUp substitutes layer behavior (and material behavior) for these situations, creating the end-user impression that there really is one assigned. It may matter to coders, but from the user’s perspective it’s a distinction without a difference.

under the hood, Sketchup::Layer doesn’t need to change, the name already changes based on locale

john

I don’t see the issue with using layers in SU if you keep it simple. When creating an architectural model I will have around 5 or 6 layers which would include for example imported acad file, existing buildings, new building, landscaping containing groups or components on that same layer. I can then switch them on and off as wanted whilst working.