PUSH/PULL inaccurate measurements?

An issue in the micrometer scale might occur just from numerical imprecision when calculating the intersection between guidelines, even if the guidelines are correctly placed.

True.
On the other hand when placed accurately (see @monospaced’s advice or by inferencing etc.) they can be a big help. ( I don’t use/need them that often though)

An often occurring issue is that two seemingly intersecting guides in fact aren’t coplanar.
And too many guides clutter up the modeling space. They can even be the cause of navigation issues, (the model may disappear into a tiny spot, so zoom extents has no effect)

This is a pointless discussion, but I was commenting on the ‘Highly Doubtful’ comment because Carl had already commented that his errors could have been due to working too fast. This could well result in inaccurate guides and therefore it isn’t highly doubtful but entirely possible.

It’s highly doubtful that snapping to a guide by itself is the cause of the issue. Guides don’t add discrepancies unless they are not placed accurately. I’m only advocating for his ORIGINAL ISSUE which was that he has perfectly accurate modelkng when he types his dimensions but has issues when he doesn’t. My solution to always type them is the solution. I said that in my first comment and it still stands as the one and only solution. Anything else here is pointless discussion.

Almost. But …

+1

(wait for SketchUp’s inferencing tooltip)

Sure. Maybe too fast is not typing measurements? That’s all I’m suggesting. He said he was accurate until he used move or push, not typing them. So I suggested typing them all the time. That is the solution no?

Just to make myself understood correctly, maybe I should have included this in original post.

My work process:
Make the framework, by typing in correct length. Each beam is a component.
The beams are then assembled, with the help of guidelines, with the origin of the outer frame.
Then I add plywood, plasterboards and other materials. By drawing rectangles on to the frame, where the corners of the frame decide the size and I use the pull tool for the thickness.
The components of the materials will then be copied and moved by the corners or mid points.

Screenprint of a flat roof, see from the inside. (Excuse my Swedish)

and the corner of the frame.

I’m not allowed to share the file, sorry.

Anyway, I think my measurements is a result of human error.
To turn off the grid snap will probably help as well.
And the solution to have exact models (if needed or wanted), is to type them yourself.

You can change unit display in Model Info to 2 or so decimals, and you’ll see even numbers.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.