Protocol for exporting Sketchup to PDF or CAD

I am using Sketchup to demonstrate on our website the iterative process we use to design kitchens.
I am running Sketchup Pro 2017 on a fairly juiced up iMac. The website software is Adobe Muse.

The protocol I follow is to create the model in Sketchup then do a screen grab (command-shift-4).
Sometimes I paste the results directly into Muse. If I need to annotate the drawing I paste it into Vectorworks CAD then do a screen grab again to paste it into Muse.

The drawing always seems a little crisper if I drop it directly into Muse.
It is never as crisp as what I see on my monitor but is palatable for the website.

I have tried using Layout but the document I get with that software is completely janky and pixelated.
It could be that I am not doing something right in Layout. I just follow the prompts and end up dismayed with what I see on the screen.

MY QUESTION is: What is the best protocol for getting a document out of sketchup that most closely resembles what I see on my computer screen?

I would guess you are right. You’re probably not doing something right.

When I want a PDF showing my SketchUp model as well as notations and dimensions, I would certainly use LayOut. This requires that you make scenes in SketchUp to use for the viewports in LayOut. You can render in Vector to get vector edges–nice and crisp but no textures or in Hybrid to get vector edges with raster textures. Keep in mind that what you see on screen isn’t the same as the export. The on-screen rendering is by default set to medium to improve performance while editing but you can set the export render quality to medium or high and get very nice results.

Here’s a quick example.

And a PDF from LayOut.
Open sign.pdf (2.7 MB)

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.