Problems moving a dimension box

After I type a dimension with a circular lead, I try to move the text to a different location. Demo shows the author moving it by click and drag on the text box. That won’t work for me

How are you typing a dimension with a circular lead?

Can you share the file so we can see exactly what you are trying to do?

Which demo?

When i type a dimension for a small segment and the dimension text box has a circular lead to the segment. I want to move the dimension text box to a different location. aaron did a video “Lets talk Layout” on dimensions and he was able to move the box by clicking in it and dragging

Why are you typing a dimension? If you are using the Dimension tool you shouldn’t have to type in a dimension.

Do you mean a curved leader?

Is this what you are talking about?

I double clicked on the text and then moved it.

when I double click on a text box for the dimension attached to a circular leader, it just changes to the “< >” notation. I don’t see the outlines for the suggested locations. Here is my file.Bedroom Dresser New.layout (1.4 MB)

That indicates you are clicking too many times.

Click twice, then click once to grab the dimension text box.

By the way, I looked at your SketchUp model. That’s an interesting way to lay it out. Did you find it a lot of work? I think you’d find it useful to learn about and use Tags.

OK, I got it to work. Thanks. It’s just that my mouse sensitivity seems to be a little off. I have to do them at just the right interval speed. As to the layout method. I followed the method outlined by Aaron in his video “Prepping Woodworking projects for Layout in SketchUp.” I created a scene for each of the individual wood elements in the model. Wasn’t really a lot of work since each of my elements are either a group or a component. When I’m done with the dimensioning in layout I have a document to take to my workshop that I can use to shape the elements. I haven’t learned about “Tags” yet. I see how you can turn on and off individual elements in the model, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to create the tags in the first place and how they might help in creating the document.

Probably a good idea to have a look at your mouse settings or possible consider a new mouse.

Ah… Understood. I tend to keep things simpler and closer together. Using tags to control the visibility of components helps a lot. Here’s a view of a recent project I did for plans. All of the copies of the components for the 2D views are above the assembled copy of the model.

They look rather clutter here but because I use tags to control visibility, it doesn’t matter that they are all packed into the same space. The same goes for the exploded view. There are separate scenes for the exploded view of the case, drawers, and doors so they can overlap when all tags are displayed without creating a problem for the specific scenes.

FWIW, I don’t use groups as they generally create more work and are more prone to induced errors if you have to make changes to the model. For example in your dresser, you have a rail at the front of the bottom frames that is a group. If you have some reason to modify that, you have to make sure you edit all of the copies of it.

Keep plugging away.