Problem with "license has been used on too many computers"

But ive received an email that says:

Dear Valued SketchUp User:

We noticed that you have reached your maximum allowed activations or attempted to exceed your allowed number of activations for your SketchUp Pro license.

That’s because you had already activated on three computers. Check if SketchUp is working, it probably is.

Nice, so I dont have to worry about it? Sketch is working fine on the two machines that im allowed (one at each time), Thanks Colin, you’ve been very kind.

Hi Colin,

Hope all is well.

I had to change 2no Loptops recently and did not deactivate licence.
Can you assist, please?

Thanks

I moved to a different team, and don’t have access to all of the tools I had while in support. I see that you requested the same thing with customer service. They do have access to all the tools, and hopefully will be able to help.

Hello, I have the same problem. HardDrive on my Macbroke down one day and I got new one under warranty. Thankfully I had BackUp and I recover that computer and removed licence. But the problem didn’t stop. I can not add licence to the second computer and nothing helps. My maintanance and suppert finished and the company I bought is simple refusing to help even I am saying that I will pay.

Is that really so big problem to deactivate the authorisation code I have and generate the new one?

If you bought via a reseller, they can only see on which machines you have activated the classic license, they have no control over resetting.
You may activate on 2, but have one reserve activation. That is, for your active license. It might be that you also own a 2021 license, depending on the moment you bought it originally.
When did you bought it?

Thanks for your quick responce.
I bought it 25.10.2019

If you bought 25.10.2019, you bought version 2019 with a maintenance that expired the following year,
In January 2020, version 2020 was released and in november that year, version 2021, after your maintenance was expired.
Make sure you use the right code and serial for the version:

Yes, first I received Licence for SketchUp 2019 and than after few months I received license for SketchUp 2020. I am using number of SketchUp 2020. The last activation is fine (User Name: win-10) - I have my SketchUp working there.

I was trying to find the reason with guys from ProGrupa (Poland) all day. They gave me the list of activation, I sent them screenshots that I do not have activation on any of the computers I have.

The problem can be this MacBook Pro that collapsed and Apple service gave me new hard drive. After that I was trying to bring back my data from BackUp on the other computer and I did it. I deactivated it but looks like I still have this activation.

I am talking about first two activation which are fake (user name: gosia)

ACTIVATIONS
User Name: gosia
Host ID: f0189883871e
Host ID: 3600600a5401
Host ID: 3600600a5400
Host ID: 3600600a5405
Host ID: 3600600a5404
Created: 2020-04-23 04:18:31
Last Modified: 2020-04-23 04:18:31

User Name: gosia
Host ID: f018983b0481
Host ID: 1e00dcb85701
Host ID: 1e00dcb85700
Host ID: 1e00dcb85705
Host ID: 1e00dcb85704
Created: 2020-11-19 11:32:15
Last Modified: 2020-11-19 11:32:15

User Name: win-10
Host ID: e4115b471db6
Host ID: 100ba994bf8c
Host ID: 100ba994bf8d
Host ID: 120ba994bf8c
Host ID: cc52afec0fd9
Created: 2021-06-09 21:48:54
Last Modified: 2021-06-09 21:48:54

I am sending screenshots of my only two computers that the license can br and on both is not active.

I can send the documents from Apple that the HardDrive of computer with user name: gosia was destroyed and they gave me new one. There needs to be some procedure in such a situation.

Yes, it was called maintenance and now subscribing. You never need it, until you need it.
People complaining about the user-based subscription sometimes don’t realize how cumbersome machine tied licensing is. Every machine has a limited lifecycle.

They might have replaced more than the harddrive, though, because the classic license is tied to the Mac address of the computer
(About this Mac > System > Network > Wifi)

Since you have already used three of the activations, the only way to get one back is to free it from the Win machine.

Btw, I do not work for Trimble or SketchUp, just explaining how it works…

1 Like

Ok, I understand now, I thought you work there :wink: Thank you for all your time you spend to help me !

1 Like

Hi, Colin,
I have removed sketchup 2017 pro license from my old macbook pro, and after got my new mac with M1 I can’t add license anymore, I get that is has been used on too many computers, is there any way out from this problem? My license provider INFOERA doesn’t help much. Thank you in advance for your help.

Partners have no access (or control) over the activations or machines that the enduser activate.
They only can view the number and on which machine ID they are.
Probably, your Maintenance and Support has expired.
You never need support until you need it…
As enduser, you are allowed to activate on two machines (and get a spare!)
The only right way to remove a license is to remove it from the Welcome screen > License tab
After you have removed, you can check by closing SketchUp and do a restart.
Or get back on the wagon and receive support again😀

1 Like

This is the exact thing have done, I have removed license from my old macbook pro via welcome screen, and tried to add license on new mac M1 but now none of these machines can add license, it looks super strange to me as this is not the first time I am removing and re-adding license from one machine to another :confused:

I do see that you deactivated a computer on September 3rd, but that your activations is still at 3 (which is still one more than the license allows). I am not sure how that can happen.

You should contact customer support and tell them what you have done, and hopefully they will help to fix the issue:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact-support/billing-question/form

That page is the general support contact forum, the tech support form may not work for you because you don’t have support for your license.

Something else to check into, one of the three activations is for a user named inscoco_engineer. If that is a work machine that you don’t use SketchUp on anymore, removing that license will free up another for you to use.