Printed copy of PDF from Layout something odd with scale

I exported a Layout file to PDF for a Client. Most of the pages seem fine but 2 of the pages have a distorted view. Can it be his printer settings? On paper mine looks fine. Any help appreciated>

Hard to tell you what’s wrong without:

Seeing the LO file
Seeing the PDF
Seeing an image of the distortion

1 Like

Don’t know whether this will help. Thank you for your interest. 3 Links above

Where are we supposed to be looking for the ‘distortion’?

The printed part of the trusses for example is way off the page as per the image whereas on the pdf page it fits perfectly

How about sharing the LayOut file since that’s where your PDF comes from?

This is the distorted image. I can’t seem to upload the LO file

Probably too large to upload directly. Upload it to DropBox or We Transfer and share the link.

Dropbox says it can’t preview SKP files

That’s OK. I asked you to share the .layout file which is what you should be uploading to DropBox, not the .skp file.

Its not a very big file. How can I try and upload it here? Not that tech savvy.

If it’s smaller than 16 Mb drag the .layout file into a reply.

DRA Lodge 1 Rev 2 Draft.layout (2.4 MB)
Does that work?

Appears to. Hang tight.

I can’t see any distortion in the PDF you shared and nothing special or weird about the viewports except the ones with the modified Camera properties. I’d do a lot of the dimensions differently than you have but that’s not leading to any distortion.

1 Like

Thank you. So it appears to be alright? Perhaps his printer settings? Would you mind telling me how you would do the dimensions? Always ready to learn something better.

I guess I would use leaders for the short dimensions. You’ve got many difficult to read dimensions like the 11mm one on the top viewport of the truss.

Dimension text should not overlap other dimension text. It’s best to not put dimensions over the parts, too.

I would also suggest that you should not dimension both the short and long edges of the noggins. Except for the tallest one at the right, the others don’t need to be dimensioned at all. They should be cut to fit between the chord and the rafter.

I would reduce the clutter further by eliminating most of the smaller dimensions. Dimensioning one of them and add ‘typ.’ to indicate that dimension applies to all of them. I think you could reduce the dimensions for the trus to a single viewport, too.

Also be careful not to create conflicting dimensions. The sum of the dimensions along the rafter in your upper viewport is not the same as the 3846 you show in the lower one. The person building this thing can’t meet all of those dimensions.

You create the same conflict with the 5° pitch callout and the lengths of the short and long edges of the noggins. What is more important? The 5° slope or the lengths of those verticals? And what if the actual width or the chord and the rafter are different from what you modeled? Wouldn’t it make more sense to let whoever builds the trusses figure out what the required lengths are for those parts?

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. It is extremely welcome and much appreciated and your feedback positive and fair. Some of the points you make bother me as well. I have partly made those errors based on my somewhat limited experience with LO. I have been out of it for a couple of years and forgotten some of the skills. Can’t believe you took so much time to answer me and went into so much detail! I must try harder LOL!

If I helped I’m glad. The bulk of my comments regarding the dimensioning aren’t specific to LayOut. They are just standard dimensioning things. Don’t add dimensions just because you can. They need to be easy to read and understand and they need to make it possible for someone to actually build.