Print Tiling Accross Two Sheets when One Would Work?

Can someone tell me the logic behind the print function that forces an object to be printed centered across two sheets and leaving space on either side of the object which would clearly fit on one sheet if the sheet could be moved? Seems like a waste of paper. And, yes, I maximize the screen and zoom in until the object fills the screen. The scale comes out correct, just uses two sheets when one would do. Just asking,

Often this is because the viewport aspect ratio (length vs width) is too far off from that of the paper you are printing on. SketchUp does a bad job of aligning the print in such cases.

@pault728 that is your issue, unless your screen matches your paper size, the extra width has to be printed on a new sheet… [as steve says]

if your on windows there is a plugin at EW [extension warehouse] that will help you resize your window accurately, otherwise I have a few un-released versions for mac that work different ways…

you should always say mac or PC and SU version in your post questions…
john

As already said here, SketchUp also prints all the visible empty space around your model.

Note, too that if your model is small (smaller than about 250 mm across) and you are printing to full scale (1:1) with the “Use model extents” box checked in your Print dialog, the printout will spread on several pages. IMO this is a bug, as scaling the model up by 10 or 100 and printing to 1:10 or 1:100 scale works perfectly.

SketchUp is also extremely conservative about print margins - I think that it assumes 25 mm (1") margins on all sides. Most modern printers have much smaller margins than that.

Anssi

Anssi

Over the years we (Sages) have asked (pleaded) this be a required part of the posting process.

@pault728
You might find this article over at the SketchUp Sage Site helpful.
Printing to Scale — SketchUp Sage Site

couple other points of triva for you:
What you are printing is the image on your screen;
The display / communicates via EDID =>( Extended display identification data) with windows its native resolution, the program knows dimensions so the actual screen size can be calculated and that coupled with the printer dpi setting and paper size supports the printing;
The margins are based on a pixel allowance using printer margins, window allowances task bar, program for tool bars etc. Those can actually be measured if you want.;
The main short fall of SU ( Free version) it does not include a centering algorithm for tiled printing like many programs so the case of where you see non symmetrical prints from one page to other occurs. For cases where I find that important I will use the scaling info SU reports, use that to export image, rescale in a program like GIMP and then print from there => big hassel.