Precision scaling in SU

I don’t know how you arrive at that. Using the Tape Measure to scale something involves measuring the distance between two points and then entering the distance it should be.

I expect this is a waste of time but I made this little GIF anyway.

DaveR, not a waste of time as it confirms what I suspected, ie that you DO have to interrogate the drawing to determine the desired length (unless you happen to know it already).

If you had to go through that rigmarole dozens of times, you would soon find it very wearisome.

Now I feel I have got to the bottom of what SU can do and what it currently cannot, maybe I should put in a Feature Request? I don’t mind whether I have to use the Tape tool or the Scale tool but I want to be able to rescale using only my mouse and with as few clicks as possible.

Alternatively, I guess I could see if I can find a ready made DC for this and take Anssi’s advice.

Have you tried plugins like ThomThom’s Rotate and scale? I find it very useful as you can just use reference points to scale as you like: http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/rotate-and-scale

There is also s4u Scale:
http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/s4u-scale

Am I missing something.

You could make a DC yourself. Anssi’s suggestion was because any scaling you do scales the size of the door frame rectangles, too. That wouldn’t normally be done.

So your door widths are random? Here in the states it seems that there are a number of standard door widths but in a typical application only limited few would be used. In a residential setting there’d probably be only three widths used and it wouldn’t be that difficult to know which is which. And if the door swing is a component, you only need to modify one to get the others of the same width set to match.

Scaling with just the mouse is possible but in order to get it positioned right, you’d need to move the component as I think you’ve already found. You could construct the component so that you don’t.

1 Like

US/UK! Here in the UK our housing stock dates back a long way. Not uncommon to be working on a house that is 500 years old. We have only had standard door sizes for a short while so if you are working on old houses as I do, nothing is standard.

I think you have hit on the best compromise which is to use the centre handles combined with the shift key to do the actual scaling and then use the Move tool to correct the positioning. Two operations where I would prefer one, but hey, you can’t have everything I guess. Your other method could have legs too. I presume that means positioning the axis point away from the geometry.

Thanks for sticking with this.

Understood.

The second one includes a hidden edge segment placed so the central scale handle on the near side is positioned at the corner of the door jamb. As it happens, that’s also where I had set the component’s origin although the origin isn’t important in this case. Placing the origin as I did makes it easy to drop in a door swing component.

Clever!

[Filler to make up 20 characters]

As I couldn’t find a suitable DC in the 3D Warehouse, I decided to create one myself and upload it. Here it is:

Door swing - Frame.skp (91.3 KB)

Good work.It does the job.