Posting Security

What controls are in place to prevent postings adding security threats to the site. For example I just had case where embedded videos also had a number( 7 totlal) of tracking sites included and they would not display because of my security settings.

I am just testing something out here… I’m going to paste the one-line youtube URL (as the Discourse instructions say) and see what my Adblock software says:

EDIT → Ok, no ads for the “Our friend, Steve Oles”

Test two:

EDIT 2 → No ads for me but the reason I wanted to test the two Youtube videos is because if I go to the first video directly on Youtube (Steve Oles) I don’t have any ads. If I go to the 2nd video on Youtube, I get 14 blocked. I was not sure if the “blocked” stuff was a part of the video or something else on the page.

TL:DR; Good question @mac7595, I don’t know the answer. Do you see any tracking info when you reload this thread?

1 Like

Can’t you request those embedded videos on an individual basis, based on your interest? That’s how Safari plugin ClickToFlash works. I’m not sure I would equate tracking with security… privacy perhaps. If that’s what you want, why don’t you use an Incognito window?

-b

1 Like

Those videos are included as part of posting on this forum so one would assume you take the responsibility to control the content they contain but the message I get based on your posting is nothing is done so user be aware:(
The reason I posted the question here I was getting similar result for video content contained herein from another site. and I was getting reports 7 different sites were being blocked. When I allowed that’s site content to display its video it showed ok but almost immediately my anti virus triggered reporting it had detected swift Trojan vip_117.swf
You contention it’s privacy not security is dead wrong. MS even states that in some of its write ups. “You” should read the IE compatibility view settings tools=> compatibility view settings and the link they supply with that drop down.( Which is the Internet Explorer privacy statement).

1 Like

Soory for delay caught by log in issue.
Yes: I see report some content block from 5 services to protect my privacy by tracking protection and video shows but when I click the “arrow” it disappears and video does not play. Before only the arrow and title caption would show and disappear so I have chaged some thing. If I allow content the video will play. I’ll now have to run complete ant virus scan(:

1 Like

Dead wrong? Really?

Symantec Security Response determined the Trojan.Swifi detection seen on vip_117.swf (MD5: 1C10326DB79BBA5BCCFD34582EC3BFBC) file is indeed a False Positive. The FP issue is RESOLVED.

Google it.

1 Like

Everything we allow here needs to be whitelisted, can you PM me you particular example, I agree that “*.swf” should not auto-onebox.

1 Like

Glad to hear that but you forgot to read the MS write ups about the issue I was addressing. The message still is you do nothing to control some posting content that could be problematic since it looks to me you have implemented a open throat system and it is up to the user to protect their system. If that is not true I would like to hear about it. Of course when action is taken on my end then content of some answers will not be seen. That is OK now that I know what I am dealing with I won’t be spending hours TS system as I just did.

Sam is your message to me? If so I’ll run down the posting link that got me started on this. Is that type of info ok ?

1 Like

Glad to hear that but you forgot to read the MS write ups about the issue I was addressing. The message still is you do nothing to control some posting content that could be problematic and it is up to the user to protect their sytem. If you have some control in place I would like to hear about it.
Of course when I block here some content will not show. That is ok now that I know what I am dealing with I will spend not time trouble shooting my system just like I did.

1 Like

I, for one, am just happy to be resurrected.

2 Likes