Possible to make material pattern join up with adjacent objects?

Is there a way to make the material on adjacent components join up?
In this case I would like to make a catalogue of kitchen cabinets and I would like to include the worktops on top of the base cabinets (so for example for a 600 width cabinet, the worktop would also be 600 wide). So when the cabinets are placed next to each other the worktops form one long run. But is it possible to avoid a tiling affect

on the worktop material?

You can hide the seamline edges and the faces on the sides of the countertop components to make them look like a single piece. If you had an image of a larger piece of marble you could also apply that material to the three components to carry that illusion farther.

Here’s an example using one of my long pine textures. In the front you can see the three pieces with different sections of the texture applied. the “piece” in the back is copies of the three in the front with the edges and faces hidden at the seams.
Screenshot - 8_29_2021 , 9_01_45 AM

The fastest is to draw the furniture without the worktop. Because hiding the edges for each group will take a lot of time (especially if it’s components …).
It is better to draw the worktop in 1 group at the right depth, it will only be left to lengthen or shorten it. Nothing’s easier.
In addition, you can put any worktop without changing the furniture each time.

No it doesn’t take a lot of time. It certainly doesn’t have to take a lot of time if you use the right method.

1 Like

I do think it takes longer than lengthening the work plan.

There are different ways to accomplish things. I answered the OP’s question with a way that works.

Thanks a lot for the answers.
My preferred method would be to have the worktop as part of the cabinet component and to hide the seamline edges and faces. However I have tried this and it doesn’t seem to be working, please see attached…
Have I hidden the edges and faces correctly?

It appears to be working to me. Your texture doesn’t appear to be long enough to avoid the repetition and each section needs to be a different component so you can have a different part of the texture on each part as I show.

How’s this look?

The first thing you need to do is apply the material to the faces, not the group containers. I converted the countertop sections to components and applied the materials to the faces. I also set the component axes for all three sections to the same spot. The component origin determines the intial location of the texture.

And seeing your model, I see that the marble texture is large enough to cover all three components without repeating.

Thanks for that, I sent my previous reply before I saw this.
Your help is much appreciated

1 Like

In this latest file your countertop sections are still groups and the material is applied to the group containers, not the faces. You can tell that by looking at Entity Info.

There my revised version of your file.

Worktop Test.skp (5.7 MB)

Yes I see, I have applied the material to the faces is now and its working fine.
Thanks again for your help!
Nick

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Jerry. For my particular workflow I needed it to work as separate components. I know what you mean, it is quick to add the worktop separately in one go, however I am creating a cabinet catalogue for my employees to use and want to keep it as simple as possible.

You will need 1 piece of furniture for the left side, 1 for the right side and 1 central that will make 3 components. As soon as there is more furniture, the textures will not match. It will be necessary to put the furniture in the right direction. They will have a lot of handling eventually.
So it is better only one component, the cabinet without the worktop, another component for the worktop. It only remains to lengthen the worktop, very simple and very fast.

You’ll have the same problem if the top is one long component. At some point the texture will have to repeat.

Here you need only one component for the furniture. And also 1 component for the worktop.
Little handling, so very quick to do, even for a beginner.

Could someone explain to me why my messages are being masked when there is nothing objectionable?

I don’t see any “masked” posts but I do find your posts objectionable because the OP has explained to you why he wants to make his models as he does.

This is the 10th post in this thread, It was masked…

Here is the hidden message