Points in imported CAD impact line ends

I am using sketchup to measure areas within an existing flat plan for a hotel. I have imported CAD information, with many layers, and moved them into a single SU layer.

When I try to outline a single room using the line tool I find that points are inferred or picked up from the imported CAD layer, making closure of the edges impossible. So I can not measure area.

Why are the pints from the imported layer “coming through” onto layer 0 where I’m working?

Hi Rcmackenzie,

Things you need to know…
Layers in SketchUp do not isolate geometry.
They serve to control visibility and nothing more.
Required reading before employing Layers in SU: Does SketchUp Support Layers? — SketchUp Help

In most situations better results are achieved by using the Rectangle tool vs. the Line tool
Twenty minutes of Video Tutorials may save you hours of frustration.

George,

Thanks you for your time and insights. The videos were especially worthwhile as was the comment re rectangles.

Robert C MacKenzie, PE

223 Plains Rd.

Haddam, Ct. 06438

860 345-8549 (W)

860 573-7471 (M)

860 345-8681 (F)

rcmackenzie@comcast.net

rcmackenzie@gmail.com—Alt only

The first video showed deleting all but layer 0 and moving all to the Layer 0. this was in an older version. When I selected all and deleted in Sketchup 15, I did not get the move all to default layer choice in a selection Box.

Again thanks for your assistance.

Robert C MacKenzie, PE

223 Plains Rd.

Haddam, Ct. 06438

860 345-8549 (W)

860 573-7471 (M)

860 345-8681 (F)

rcmackenzie@comcast.net

rcmackenzie@gmail.com—Alt only

The layer was probably empty. The option dialog pops up only if the layer contains objects.

Anssi