Perpetual license if SketchUp goes out of business?

I imagine this is an issue with many software vendors. Activation via the Internet, and the activation is limited to the specific computer that was used to activate the license.

The problem appears if the SketchUp software company were to go out of business. The software would continue to run, but only as long as you stay with your current computer. If it breaks, or you want to buy a new one, you would have not way to transfer that license. Am I correct?

The reason I am inquiring is that I just started part-time for a company that uses SketchUp. I am now considering recommending SketchUp for the other company. That company uses a DWG editor, BricsCAD. The benefit of staying with native DWG files is that I have the option of using several other programs that use the same DWG format. SketchUp is its own unique file format. If I were to loose access to the program, then I can no longer use my drawings.

How have other companies handled this issue? Again, this is not an issue limited to SketchUp, since locking a program to a specific computer is so common now-a-days.

-joe

You can transfer a license to another computer…
https://help.sketchup.com/de/article/95108

@Cotty,

I read @cadcoke5’s original question as: “What will happen if SketchUp goes out of business and there is no online authorization? Will I, at that point, be limited to continuing to use SketchUp on the computer(s) that are currently authorized?”

And checking your link above, moving to a different computer requires re-authorization, which is an on line process which depends on SketchUp continuing to exist.

Oh yes.
For that time, you can keep a MAKE install version maybe? I suppose you can use it for commercial work after Trimble goes out of business…

The file format and the survival of SU as a product are two separate concerns…

There are so many .skp files available worldwide that the ability to convert and/or direct import them into other programs will remain for a very, very long time…

you can even download the C++ API and write your own convertor if you desire…

you can also keep an archive of exported dxf’s if it made you happier… [dwg is propriety and changes more often]…

Given the potential for cyber warfare and even the potential widespread loss of the Internet from a solar flare, I can see this sort of licensing process being a liability for any company that depends on that software. In particular, the solar flair will be expected to fry a lot of computers. So, a lot of software will need to be re-installed onto new computers, but there won’t be a means of getting them authorized.

-Joe

I agree that a not working SketchUp would be the greater problem for me too in this case.

3 Likes