Performance sucks?

performance

I’m sure this isn’t our team’s intent- instead, we think we’re making SketchUp easier for the majority of users to access. From my team’s perspective, SketchUp running in a web browser is pretty great. So far, our adoption metrics suggest that we aren’t alone in thinking that.

I recognize that SketchUp for web is not at full feature parity with SketchUp Make yet, and for this reason we’re keeping the SketchUp Make client available for download for as long as there is demand. If you were using SketchUp Make yesterday, you can still use it tomorrow. Our experience has shown that our client software lasts a long time— there are still lots of folks using builds that we shipped over five years ago.

There’s no reason to assume that we’ve launched SketchUp for web for any reason other than the one we founded our company under a decade and a half ago- to make 3D modeling as widely useful and available as we can.

Thank you for the nice reply. I realise that this is not your fault, so forvgive my rant.

You’re doing commercial work with the free version of SketchUp?

No. I have a license and have had one since 2014

Why do you ask?

Because it seems like you’re complaining about the performance and features of web-based free SketchUp, but are using it for client work. Maybe I missed something.

“I do almost all of the 3d work for the Norwegian franchise of X-Games here in Norway”

I am a freelancer and I have and have had a lience since I started my business in 2014. Beyond that I have no knowledge about what my clients have.

Agree Sketch is terrible now that Trimble took over. Started at work when Trimble forced everyone to remove free version and go with pro. Immediately models ran slow to the point i stopped using it. New computer at home and now you have to use the web version? Glad i never bought the pro version.
Going back to see if i can get it off old machine.

I’m sorry you feel that way, and I hope we’re able to earn your trust again in the future.

I don’t think the performance problem you experienced was directly related to a change in licensing policy— if you are still experiencing that you may want to consult our Help Center article “Improving Performance” for some useful tips.

We actually celebrated a significant milestone here in Boulder very recently. We have now (officially) been working at Trimble longer than we were at Google. In that time, we’ve grown significantly both in terms of team/resource and in the scope of our aspiration for the future.

I know change is tough, but I think in the long run you’ll be as excited as we are when you see where SketchUp takes us all together.