I’ve read a few threads discussing this issue, but I haven’t seen any permanent fixes or workarounds. When exporting a finished layout document to PDF, my fonts get substituted. I was getting past the issue by using the “print to file” option in the print system dialog. The fonts aren’t substituted and appear correctly this way. The issue is my max paper size using this method is 11x17. Once I move to larger paper sizes I have no way of saving my drawings to a readable format for others.
We have discovered that a similar problem occurs when loading the same Layout file under two different licenses and computers. It seems that some of the fonts are changed in size and some just substitute the same font but Bold. It makes no sense. The font used is an imported font but it is available on both computers. The characteristics of the font change when the file is opened on another computer.
Could @trent or someone else from the developers explain what the LayOut PDF exporter does with font embedding? PDF printers often have in place options that allow you to determine what to do with fonts (ignore, partial embed, full embed…) but the LayOut exporter doesn’t have any user settings related to fonts. If fonts are not included inside the PDF document, PDF viewers perform font substitution that often favours the standard Times and Helvetica fonts that reside inside, for instance, Adobe Acrobat. This often wreaks havoc with special characters.
I used Bahnshrift on Layout and Vectorworks. Beautiful font. (Used for German highway signs). I had to stop using it in Layout because it was behaving very weirdly when I published a PDF. Sentences cut in half and stuff like that. The weirdest thing is, it looks find when I use it in Vectorworks and publish to PDF. This make me think the problem is in Layout.