PDF export from LayOut not the same size as the document in LayOut

Just tried it on my OSX 10.14.5 and LayOut v2019.3 and seems to work fine here. I don’t think it’s a LayOut problem. Obviously if you have access to another machine then try the exact same file yourself just to confirm. Wish we could help more.

PDF opened in Photoshop to show actual page size after export from LayOut:

In your first screenshot the file is set to print full scale, and in your second it is set to fit into the printable area. The second setting (that is the default in Adobe Reader) will shrink the whole page, including its margins, to fit within the printing margins of the current printer page. Using this setting, it is impossible to get a printout that is to scale.

Hi Anssi,
Well noted. Went back, and here is a screen shot of @dwcreates PDF Print Dialog Box when enabling “Actual Size” radio button; showing “Document 11.0in x 8.5in”. Wondering if this is one of those secondary effect problems of SU not being installed by “Right click on EXE” and “Run as Administrator”, as LO Page Preference does indicate 17"x11"?

@DWcreates asked if other MAC users have problems with File->Export command

I encountered a problem recently with trying to print to PDF or use File->export only with letter size documents in Layout. I use a 1/4" margin (sometimes 1/8") all around and noticed in the PDF , the left hand side of the document was cutoff. I observed this same cutoff even when I viewed the print preview.
I did the following to resolve the issue:

1. For debug purposes, Set the margins to red and visible in LO using document setup for better visibilty of what was truncated.

2. A went into the Page Setup screen and checked my selection was US letter 8.5x11. When I moused over that selection a gray pop-up appeared showing margins which were not the ones I had set in Layout using document setup. There didnt appear to be a way to change these margins.

3. There is however a manage custom sizes settings which allows one to name, choose a size and set the visible print area which I set to have no margins (fully visible). I named it US Letter Size- no margins and once entered, it appeared in the drop down list and I set it as favorite.
    When I went back to view print preview, the entire document including my margins were completely visible and centered correctly. Print to PDF worked and Export to PDF worked for my letter sized documents.

I think the page setup may be specific to your printer - I am not sure. In any case for anyone else that may have run into a similar issue with generating PDFs in Layout on a MAC, check the page setup margins to insure the printed page is completely visible.

!

!

Zaz1

I think you identified the issue. As I recall this is due to the print drivers for the printer.

why does your screen shot indicate there’s no printer selected? Do things change if you select your printer?

I got tired of paying for ink cartridges so I usually either work from the screen or send the completed job to a print shop. Consequently I had never set the printer choice in Layout. On your suggestion I did try it, but it made no difference, looking at the print preview, the left side of the page was still cutoff (picture 1 shown previously). A friend of mine is using Layout with letter size, a MAC but a different printer than me. He had no problems, the margins were in the correct locations from the start.