PC efficiency (Lag) and mega block quantity

Hello everyone,

If I have an grouped entity keep repeating in the SU model, for example like the tiny perforated grey square hole (12.5mm x 12.5mm) as shown in above image, what is the best way to group them?

In this model I am drawing an office using perforated gypsum ceiling, each gypsum board (2400 x 1200) contain 4608 holes, and I am using about 100 piece of gypsum and end up in my model will have 460,800 copied group…
The problems is when i edit the group, it take a minutes ‘to get into the group’, also orbiting the model is also painful.

Instead of using a flat jpeg, what is the best way to solve this problem??

Thanks
Leo

maybe you could make two components, one simple to represent the grid or tile and the other with other with the detail. Then swap when require in to the view concerned for the final presentation

It seems to me that your best method to address this is to use a tiled image to represent the perforated ceiling panels rather than to attempt to physically model each one. The method currently used will always be slower to respond because of the inherent increase in file size. This size can be significantly reduced by using an image (either a jpeg or png type) to represent that portion of the model.

Why is it that you don’t want to use a jpeg image?

You also mention groups?, Components would be more appropriate. But an image or texture would be far better.

pcmoor:
Yes thats the method I use sometime, but need to set scenes and modify twice if need to revise the design.

Jvlee:
Use of jpeg may be the simplest way to solve this, but I guess the SU developers have a ‘’ proper ‘’ for bulk components.
Benefit of making physically holes for me are the final image looks better, got depths in detail. Fast and “more real” in Layout, you see the detail cut by section plane. Easy to modify in terms of size and scale, when design revise, no need go to PS and adjust the image. And usually I will send the .skp to third party for 3D rendering, those depth result a better image quality in terms of light and shadow than a flat image.

I know it sounds a bit willful and stubborn, but these kind of physical details help imagining the environment and got a better sense of design.

Box:
You are right, I mean components. All hole (component) changed if one is changed.

Can you post the model of one tile?

I still think that the best way is an image on top to represent the holes - model the actual tile, but replace the holes area with an image. If you want light to travel through it, you could make it a PNG with a transparency alpha mask.

I’m sure that if you explain to the render people what you want the texture to look like, that they can apply a bump-map to make it so.

If you insist on modelling all the 460,800 holes (with the default 24-segment circles that makes for 11,059,200 faces and 33,177,600 edges), there is absolutely no way to make SketchUp run the model tolerably fast, even if you go and buy the absolutely fastest PC on the market, dump it in liquid nitrogen and overclock it to the max.

Anssi

1 Like