Patent Drawing Features

Patent Drawings are extremely easy in Sketchup Layout compared to other applications. A quick example can be seen here: How To Make Patent Drawings In Sketchup

Sketchup already supports the process of making patent drawings. Document Size, Margins, Text, Arrows, Lead Lines etc. Why not add some basic features to make it even easier?

Feature Requests:

1. Add additional document ‘margin options’ specifically for patent drawings. So a user can check a box for Patent Margins and the margin dimensions automatically apply to the document.

2. Add additional Layout Style called “Shade Lines”. This is the same as the ‘Hidden Line’ style, but it automatically adds the shade lines to an object.

1. Exactly what are those “Patent Margins”? How large?

2. Can you provide an example of the “Shade Lines” you are referring to? I did a Google search and got lots of different images.

Patent Drawing Margins can be found here on this Patent Drawing Standards document. Patent Margins are the second table down. Find it here.

Patent Shading is like any other visual representation of object shading except in the form of discreet lines.
Here’s a good example: Patent Shading

All this is pulled from the Patent Clarity channel on youtube. It’s not easy combing over all the Patent Manual documents online but this guy does a pretty good job of it. If you’re interested; you can see how the document was constructed here.

If you’re up for some heavy reading I found the official regulations for this on paragraph (g) the ‘Standards for drawings’ section 37 C.F.R. 1.84. Check it out here.

Considering there’s probably only a small percentage of LayOut users who are doing Patent drawings, it would be easy enough for them to create their own templates with suitable margins. Those templates could be shared.

The shading could be done with textures in SketchUp.

It’s unfortunate that the author of that video is teaching such poor LayOut workflow.

The real shame is there aren’t enough videos about it. I felt lucky to find that one. From what you’re saying it sounds like there exists a more optimal way of doing these things. Good to hear it.

Are textures maintained if you select ‘Hidden Line’ style in Layout? I didn’t think that was the case. Also; I didn’t think textures conform to splines, or any other line or surface area. They are just repeated tile graphics stitched together.

Yes.

No. Not with Hidden Line but you can get the Hidden Line appearance with textures if desired. Selecting the Hidden Line style in LayOut is part of the poor workflow exhibited in that video.

It depends on the textures.

Ok great. I’ll see what can be done around textures.

About Hidden Line. You mentioned…

Not with Hidden Line but you can get the Hidden Line appearance with textures if desired

Are you saying there is a difference between “Hidden Line” style and “Hidden Line Appearance”? I feel like what you’re telling me is there are textures that (simply by applying them) give you the Hidden Line style automatically in Sketchup. What are those textures specifically?

The guy who made the video is hardly an expert in Sketchup. His entire channel is devoted to patent processes so it surprises no one there was no attempt at showing efficiency in layout. You guys are the experts in Sketchup so any chance you have videos demonstrating the ideal layout workflow on these things?

If so; link?

Thanks

No. You misunderstood. You can eliminate the shading that SketchUp normally uses to show the 3D-ness of the model (which is what Hidden Line does) while still showing textures. It’s done with shadow settings. Use Sun for Shading, Light and Dark sliders crossed.

Screenshot%20-%207_10_2018%20%2C%204_06_41%20PM

I just used one of the sketchy materials included with SketchUp for this screen shot but you could make your own if you want.

I don’t, yet, but there’s at book by Nick Sonder and Matt Donley that would be a good start. It is more oriented toward using LayOut for architectural use but it’s got some good information.

Ok great. I’ll checkout those options next.

Talk about patents?
Here is a link to the original patent of SketchUp itself:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6628279B1/en

Which inspired me to make some kind of karate-kata-practice for long sunday mornings…

Look at all those claims around 2,528 plus all the figures. THIS was an expensive patent for sure. Well worth it though. It’s a fine product.