Painting issue

Mihai.s…I created 3D text “CUT 'N PASTE”, installed it onto the face of the crate. Clicked edit/cut, then I clicked edit/paste. It came back, but when I tried to paint the letters, the box changes color as well. I just need to have the ability to paint just the letters, but not recolor the crate. Here what mine looked like after I pasted the text back in and changed color, everything changed…CUT N PASTE-BRIGHT GREEN.skp (286.3 KB)

RE-read the entire thread, the solution/s are there…

my way: DO NOT explode either the box or the text, you can group those together after placing and painting…

john

1 Like

Mr. Rabbit, Your technique was easy to understand and revealed the “theory” of what I was trying to learn. Being a signmaker for 43 years now, I feel precarious when it comes to learning things that are new, but simple to others, not to me tho. Thankyou Very Much!

Thankyou mihai.s! And all of the others who tirelessly tried to teach an old dog new tricks. I “can” learn things, but they have to be pounded into my head!

I’m glad something clicked for you, I know it’s not that obvious until you grasp it. Now seeing this it would be good to look back at some of the previous posts too to see alternative ways to achieve similar results.
One addition (attached) would be to delete the outlines around the text if you don’t want them. I’m using the eraser tool + ctrl key at the same time, which hides the lines (doesn’t delete them) but you can see where they are if you enable “show hidden geometry” in the view menu. John’s earlier example shows another (simpler) way to achieve this.

Rob the Sign Guy here (again)…Guess I spake too soon. It seemed to work one time, but then wouldn’t work again. I double-clicked on the crate, and a black thin perspective line appeared around it…Then I created text, placed it on the surface, at that time it had a fairly heavy blue line around it. I then used the edit menu and scrolled down to “componant” and clicked “explode”…Then tried to change the color of the text and the box changed colors along with it. It’s probably something simple? Kind of a stickler, because I need to show a mockup tomorrow.RED CRATE.skp (540.2 KB)

Your text is not on the crate surface - see attached.
You can see that if i push/pull it.
so select your text outline and get the move tool and move the text onto the surface of the crate. You will see the selection inference point change from green to blue.
The you can fill in the colors.

then, if you want to hide lines

White Rabbit, I have been trying hard but no cigar. In this example…I tried to slowly dock the text onto the crate, but still I cannot change the colors of the letters without the crate changing color too.
GREEN CRATE WITH ENTER.skp (432.8 KB)

maybe get closer.
When you select all the text, put the move tool on a vertex and move closer. It will show as a green dot, move it to touch the face and it will show when it has (say - on face).
One of the times this may not work is if the text were “glued” to a plane, but as its not it should move to where you put it.

@robbie5424
Try from scratch, with basic steps and very simple graphical explanations and SKP file t5.skp (22.7 KB)
: