Opinion poll for a full SketchUp on iPad

Yes, please.

Now that iPadOS 13 will allow for external hardware connections, such as a mouse, external monitor, et al., the idea seems much more feasible to me. I say YES!

no thanks

the devs have enough on their plate trying to get the app to run better / faster, fix bugs, adding useful new features and functionality than to assign resources to developing another branch and support it

besides, there are web based options for Sketchup, if your tablet can’t run this then I doubt it would run a bare metal installation anyway

3 Likes

Now that I have the large iPad Pro with pencil I have pretty much stopped using my Cintiq completely and moved to the iPad. Shapr 3D was amazing but I did not continue the sub after the free trial.

I retract my earlier sentiment and I would not like to see SketchUp working natively on iOS. In combination with Procreate and Photoshop for iPad it would be an awesome concept art tool.

YES I WANT

thank’s

I’ve been using Wacom tablets on Macs for 25+ years, and the Apple Pencil on an iPad 6G for just a few months. I have to say, as much as I’ve been a fan of Wacom, the stylus itself is my biggest gripe. They’ve added all kinds of features and displays and computers, but the #1 most important thing is the feel of the stylus in actual use. Grab the stylus in your drawing hand, and then with the finger nails of your other hand get a good grip on just the plastic nib. There’s always a tiny bit of play both in-out and side-side, and that makes initial touch and very light touch no match for the feel of a real pencil. Apple got it right with their Pencil, no play what so ever. I also prefer the skinny Pencil over fat rubber. If Apple made tablet for the Mac that used the Apple pencil for the stylus I would be really interested.

1 Like

Reminder to readers of this topic thread to please answer the poll above.

:arrow_down:
Scroll up to the poll …
:arrow_up:

Thanks for the reminder. It’s not actually set up as an official “poll” per se, just asks for replies. Any chance it could be made into a full featured poll?

It is how Discourse forum engine allows polls to be setup. So it is what it is.
“Official” polls have in the past been done on another platform.

So the informal poll allows participants (of the discussion) to speak to percentages of those holding certain positions that have been promoted or mentioned. Ie, meaning that it is for the benefit of the readers, and likely will have no bearing on whether it is ultimately economically feasible for Trimble to develop any iOS platform products.

Doh! My brain registered “Scroll up to the poll…” as meaning the the original post (post #1), which I did only to find no real Discource forum engine poll (radio buttons, etc.). Too dumb to just click the link you provided! (to post #34) By “official” I meant making use of the Discourse feature to “create a poll,” not “official” as in coming form Trimble. My apologies.

1 Like

52% as of this post are saying yes they want it (at varying price points). With iPadOS our and offering mouse and keyboard support, and the latest iPad Pros being extremely capable machines, I think it is time to truly look at this as an option. SketchUp is the last thing marrying me to my laptop, and I would love a divorce… I can hook my iPad to my monitor when I am at my desk, but I would really love full access to my projects when I am on the go. The browser version is not very good on mobile platforms. Even adobe is bringing full photoshop support to iPad. The time is now here for SketchUp to go mobile.

1 Like

YES I WANT SketchupPro for iPad-Pro

YES I WANT

How does it work as compared to a mouse? It seems to me it would be a lot of work. Are mouse-over and drag, click functions workable? Can’t leave the mouse and cursor sitting in-place when you go to the keyboard? I assume you’d use a separate keyboard… but it’s not extended. Isn’t the screen space worth it f(worth a full computer) for professional work?

I would really like it, in work I’ve handed in my MacBook Pro top spec for an iPad Pro instead. Would love to add SketcUp to it at some point.

YES I WANT
Please :sparkles:

2 Likes

It’s been a few years since the original post and with the current development of the Apple Silicon moving towards native IOS apps running on desktops, things might have changed?
So it’s not about splitting ‘resources’ in another platform, but merging or combining the two Apple OS’s.
After all, drawing with a pencil still feels more natural than with a mouse, IMO.

YES I WANT

But building accurate 3D models by finger painting is, to me, not quite natural.

Building something with the mouse in empty space is equally inaccurate, until a new user learns about using inferences and the VCB.

I find it rather an interesting challenge to transfer the concept of inferences from the mouse era to the touch era. It must be possible, the question is rather whether SketchUp can find that solution and/or has an interest (and market) for that.

2 Likes

IMO the thing about mouses is the seamless switching between modelling, zooming and orbiting. Pen interfaces, AFAIK, have not quite achieved this. I agree that a touch interface, too, might be doable.

1 Like