Operating with/on JPGs in model

Working backwards through your points

1. The gradient you produced is great for “pigment” colours (RYB) and much smoother than mine.
    2.You’re right that if you loop that you get red to purple as does my RYB which is what I meant by

The job was that the purple end needed extending back into red like the MYC one below which goes right through from red to red.

My aim is to have the six sides of the cube centred on the six primary and secondary colours of the colour wheel so each side of the cube was predominantly that colour changing slowly towards the next sides’ colour till it turns the corner at the edges at either end.Thats why the path is continuous round all six sides of the cube. In effect its the same colour gradient strip but slid round the cube path so the pure colours RYB are in the middle of each side’s path rather than the edges.

The uneven spacing of the notches is the biggest nightmare to grasp. You’d think that the primary and secondary colours would be evenly spaced along a spectrum but they are not. Reasons are complicated and I only understand a bit. Yours is the best gradient and you can just about check it by measuring on the screen. I’ll send a graphic on that but maybe not tonight. Its got late :no_mouth:

Quicker than I thought. Thats your colour gradient. Top marks are even spaced.
Arrows are what I would pick for R O Y G B P.
The two I most dislike on the even space marks are yellow and green.

OK… Looking at it your gradient would do the job. If it got the purple to red onto the right end it would do what I wanted as it is . If red started and finised at square 33 each side of the cube would have the "general colour " I’m wanting.
Sorted.
How did you make the gradient ?

I used Photoshop.

Would you mind if purple changed back to red? Then it would be easy to center the primary color in the middle of each side.

I reread what you just said. I’ll make a version that is done in the easiest way it can be done, and you can subjectively say what is wrong with the cube I make.

I was going to upload a model to a private link in 3DWH, but it’s having problems today. I reported those.

Meanwhile, I did the red to red RYB cube. Having done it with even spacing, I can imagine why you might do biased spacing. Fortunately, I think I can just replace texture images now to get whatever range you want. Here’s a picture from my current model.

Another view:

image Determination in the face of incompetent and fussy modellers
I have awarded you a new badge .

The smooth colour change is looking really good and the whole colour range … red OYGBP and back to red is nailed.
I’m really glad you sent both views as it surprised me to see how some sides of the cube do look predominantly a range of one colour and some sides don’t which is back to this idea that the primary and secondary colours are not spread evenly through the spectrum and so would need “stretching” to achieve my ideal effect. Currently the orange , blue and green sides do convey a “range of one colour” effect. The red is close but a bit heavy at its purple end. The yellow and purple sides appear most ‘contaminated’ as far as looking a specific colour over their allotted side goes.

I’ve added purple to red as best I could to your spectrum then marked under it which sections I would stretch out through each cube side. I’ve stretched out each of those sections to the same length to show how each side of the cube would look. I don’t know what process you’re using to "paint " the pathways. Is it able to apply those six colour graduations ?

My current method is to apply six gradients, and I can change those materials to anything. At this point though the color change between squares isn’t a lot, and you might get away with filling the squares with 390 solid colors.

But for now we can keep trying with the gradient textures. My ones are 1300x20 pixels in size. If you made six PNGs with gradients that are that wide, I can replace my ones with yours.

Yipes! … you don’t hang about ! :slightly_smiling_face:
I’ll go see if I can do that :sweat:

Oh … and , if you’ve not got too far yet, there’s a reason I’d like to get the direction of the path patterns and the direction of the colour flow as in the flat colour example below. Hope I’m not too late. :no_mouth:

I must learn what’s the best way to apply the colour graduations so I don’t have to steal more of your time if I want to try some variations.

I should be able to start on any face, and the flow order is already fixed.

There were a couple of minor problems with your strips. The end of the blue has two pixels of black, and more seriously, the end of the orange is not close to the color of the start of yellow. I fixed that by transitioning from the last orange to one of the yellows, over a short distance.

There was another problem, I had started my red to orange band on the most red square, and the strip would end on the most orange square on the next face. Yours had the most red square in the middle. I moved half of your red strip to the end of the purple strip, so that I could easily save out six strips that matched my existing one.

Here’s what your strips gives us:

Hi Colin
Looks as if we may be getting close to completion but also maybe close to the edges of my limitations in technology (as well as my limitations in skills) .

Working backwards again :

1. I can’t get to your model (in the warehouse I think). Maybe thats to do with the problems you mentioned earlier or maybe SketchUp make users don’t get access to the warehouse … Ive never tried before!
  2. Problem with colour positions is confusion in communication : the colour strips I made were one for each side so the “pure colour” is in the middle of the strip –

My division marks on the black backed image were a bit feint so I suppose that didn’t help … sorry.
Don’t know about the connection from yellow to orange I’ll go check that (and the others).

1. Problems with corruption on the colour strips. I’m beginning to think that might be to do with transferring them into SU as I started experimenting with the red strip and noticed a slight fading at one end. I went back and looked closely at the file on the computer and there was no problem there.
    ============================================================
    I did start applying a strip to one side but I must be using a poor method as it was exceedingly slow. I’d really like to know how you are doing it as, even when this one is finished, I’d like to do some similar models and certainly can’t expect you or anyone else to continue doing any bits I haven’t learnt yet.

I had set the model to be private, and then tested viewing it from a different account, and it worked. But, it was one of my accounts, and the system may have let me take a look anyway.

In the hope that you don’t mind it being public, here the model link again. It does have your color bands centered in the way that you wanted. I think you may rethink some of the spreads, and that’s ok, I can replace any that change.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience and input. That’s a pretty significant mile stone reached with the graduated colour successfully applied which was why I first asked about cutting up JPGs . So I suppose I should have flagged up that the Q has been well and truly answered … and more.

Looking round the thing with all colours applied has done as I’d hoped, and what you rightly observe i.e. showed up things that can be improved. I spent more time trying out different choices for slicing out the purple section from the full spectrum strip than any other colour yet it’s still the side that would most benefit from being shifted.

For me this is really the first stab at an “idea in development” so I’d not personally have chosen for it to go public till I’d kicked it around a bit. I’ve made a little video of one possibility which makes this stage viewable but there are also things about that that are not as effective as they might be so that will get changed too. But as it has a chunk of input from you, I’m not too uptight about it staying in the warehouse if you think that’s a good idea.
I’ve still not forgotten how good it looked with the spectrum per side that you did …and there are several variables I can think of in that direction.
I’ve not yet got to trying white rabbits method for colouring. Maybe that would speed up my work rate. Is that the method you’ve been using … so much to learn … so far to go :neutral_face:

I love to bike round a pathway like that. I’d just have to get it to rotate so the pathway was continually one of the top three surfaces then it could become a rodeo side show … see how fast it goes before you fall off. Do you know any engineers who want a challenge ? :upside_down_face:

… and just so you get an idea of some of the odd cube ideas I juggle around with I’ll send you a link to some of my ‘cube doodles’ on OneDrive.
But back to this one. The sort of things I might think of playing around with before I make anything “unvirtual” are
would this one look better if the inside were not black but showed the outside colour . It would show the whole spectrum which was a plus on one of your earlier versions ?
would it look good to use a red to red spectrum per side so that the pathway colour flowed round the edges from one side to the next ?
One of the weakness of the the one you’ve helped me make is that the view with just the three primary colours showing is surprisingly uninteresting whereas the three secondaries viewed togerther looks fine – so possibly putting the pure colours onto the edges rather than my first idea of getting one colour per side, would look better?
In the OneDrive there’s a very simple black and white design (precursor to this colour one) which you’ll see has been “made solid” rather than left flat. I’d like to have tried that with this colour graduation … into solid bar or tube but the time its taken to produce the flat one I don’t think I could get to solid visualized in SketchUp. I’m hoping to make the black and white one in resin or ceramic so maybe I should make this more complex one anyway and paint the colours.
All these, and many more, variations are what I meant by “kicking it around a bit” but I’m not going to get many of those into SketchUp unless I find a much quicker way of applying colour graduations.

1 Like

I made a screen recording of the technique that I ended up using. There’s no voice over, but the basics are to bring in a texture of the right size, or resize it to the size you need, break the texture up into as many pieces as you have objects to fill, cut a piece, paste it into the right location, and rotate it to the correct angle.

About two minutes of the video is me doing those cut and pastes and rotates of the 12 pieces. Feel free to scrub through that part! At two minutes it’s still a lot faster than it would have been to use the texture position tools.

The last part of the video shows how easy it is to replace the texture with something completely different, and it will still follow the path.

When you watch the video you can click on the gear button in the lower right, and change it to 1080p. That will look a lot better.

Now that looks like it has great potential for me … I must Learn and use it.Thanks

The demo is all in one plane. Can the path travel through different planes?

The demo also operates on flat surfaces. Can the method be used on solid sections like tube or bar ?

Could I find and use any “paths” on the model from the Warehouse?

The rotating into a different plane is a little harder, but can be done.

Note that for the cube I didn’t have to do any tricky rotations. At first I would place the texture parallel to the side I was going to work on, but then later I lay the six sides flat on the ground, and textured them before moving them into the cube position.

Painfully slow progress at this end… I’ve lost count of the number of failures I’ve produced and the time I’ve spent failing :frowning_face:
I can now get it to work more often than not .
How ever I still get the problem that we’ve noticed previously that the ends of the graduations get corrupted when bought into SketchUp

Any ideas on avoiding this ?

The texture wants to be big enough to not stretch noticeably. For my cube I had 2’x2’ squares, and the texture was 1300x20. So, enough detail for about 10 slices of texture per square. That did leave me with a couple of places where the edge of the texture was not quite right, so for those cases I altered the position of that square’s texture, and used the pins to stretch the good part of the texture to snap to the corners of the square.

Ok . Thanks Colin. I think I’ll play about for a while with the bits I can now get to work on SU then pick any I think I want to turn into tangible forms in one material or another so you should (I hope)get a bit of a break from me squealing about stuff I can’t do on SU .

Heres another badge “patience of a SketchUp saint”