Open / import / all dialog pop-ups not working

thanks… I will give it a try ONCE i close down all the files I am currently working on…
thanks again for a prompt reply

You can test the basic functionality from ‘Ruby Console’, copy paste this code and hit Return…

model = Sketchup.active_model
 show_summary = true
 filename = UI.openpanel("Select any File", "~Documents", "")
 status = model.import filename, show_summary

this ‘should’ open a select dialog and import any file type SU can import…
try it on a ‘New’ model first…
john

1 Like

One pt of clarity, @john_drivenupthewall, deleting a plist, even in Terminal using defaults delete will not clear the defaults, because Apple uses cfprefsd (core foundation preferences daemon), which has them cached. So if you do defaults delete com.sketchup.SketchUp.2015 and restart SketchUp, it’ll still have your preferences. But if you kill the daemon, it’ll lose it’s cache and restart automatically. So in Terminal, follow defaults delete with the command “killall cfprefsd” and it should clear things and launchd will restart cfprefsd in seconds. One of my least fav additions to the Mac in recent years…

-b

I got sick and just back in the swing of things… ok, I understand very little of this tech speak… where is “open terminal” to be found… SU is closed (bugsplat)… is this “Terminal” to be found in Application Support or Utilities folder… i.e. which folder do I go to on a Mac to do this operation?

just type ‘Terminal.app’ in Spotlight and it will e the first item found, it ‘lives’ in ‘Applications’ >> ‘Utilities’ folder…

Terminal is an application… just like Mail or Safari or SketchUp or iTunes.

(as john says… in Applications folder then the subfolder ‘Utilities’)

Ok, thanks, I had no idea this even existed… or for that matter why i have to do what I am told to do… but I need help… so thanks… I found it and will give it a try…
Simple would be a nice concept … but every upgrade seems to come with yet more obscure odd and or unusual tasks to get back to functioning… as it was… thanks again

I have no idea what happened, why I had to do what I did… but it worked…
thanks…

@redinhawaii
It’s actually Apples added simplicity that makes this process more complex than in the past…
Most Applications have preference lists with the extension .plist…
It ‘was’ a common ‘troubleshooting’ step to move this plist to trash…
SU’s preferences ‘live’ in
Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Preferences/com.sketchup.SketchUp.2015.plist
by default Apple now hides this Library and keeps a copy of the plist to speed up launching the app…
It also uses the copy to replace a missing plist…

By using Terminal.app you don’t need to find the hidden Library, and it can delete the plist and remove the copy…
To a large extent this is currently the simplest way on newer OSX’s…

john

I don’t know, simply speculating, but the reason Apple would write cfprefsd is that network users who had preferences residing on a server could possibly experience slower open / close of an app?

At any rate, this is an anomaly and should not be a regular thing. We just took the easiest way to fix it for you.

Just as an update on my saga: I never did get around to executing the Terminal command; after dragging the .plist files to the trash and uninstalling/reinstalling V-Ray I haven’t had the issue since.

I don’t necessarily remember the exact order of operations that lead to resolving the problem though because I wasn’t really expecting it to work. I just kept using SketchUp because I had an urgent job and I realized I haven’t had it happen since. Thanks for the help everyone. I half expect it to come up again someday so I’ll keep the Terminal advice in mind!