On shape vs sketchup

Hi all,

Just curious has anyone got any expirence with onshape? How did you get on with it? When i looked on Reddit forums for On shape vs SU the pro On shape vets really dont like Sketchup for some reason.

Completely different… I realized and printed these Mies chairs from Mies’s sketches. Onshape was the way to go to print the chairs.

1 Like

I consider that each one chooses which platform or software to use if you are happy with onshape go ahead it is not to belittle a software or say from your point of view which one is better, maybe for me sketchup is better.
it all depends on where and how you use your tool.

1 Like

I use OnShape a little because that’s the CAD software used by the robotics team I mentor. It’s very powerful with many features that SketchUp doesn’t have. It’s also a good tool for collaboration. We can have multiple students working in the same file at the same time or when we need to do virtual meetings we can watch while one student presents. That also causes some problems when two are modeling against each other.

Personally, though, I find it clumsy to use but after more than 20 years of using SketchUp I can model much more quickly and efficiently than I can in OnShape. I much prefer the workflow in SketchUp to that in OnShape. Others I know like OnShape better. I don’t think it’s a matter of one being better than the other. Just different ways to work.

Obviously the people from each forum are going to tell you that the software they’re using is better than any other software, visit the forum form Rhino, Archicad, Revit, AutoCAD or any other software forum and some people, specially veterans, will tell you that the software they’re using is the best

sketchup and onshape are different softwares, the price is a lot higher for onshape, if you want to use it for commercial purposes, the cheapest license is $1500 per year.

Sketchup is more versatile, you can model from a screw to an airport or anything you can imagine, onshape isn’t for architecture, it’s more focused for product design or for mechanical parts.

If you are more comfortable with the classic CAD way of modeling and don’t mind spending at least $1000 per year, onshape, Catia, Solidworks or AutoCAD are probably the better options for you.