Offset tool, manual move vs. specified number [solved]

Hi HRS, Thanks for taking the time to post your pictures, sorry about the new user post limit, it goes away quickly if you stick around. I see your illustrations depicting the behavior you’re describing. But, for the life of me I cannot make Sketchup behave this way, no matter how I try to fool it. Entering 4" always produces a 4 inch offset in the direction of the mouse drag, that’s in or outward. Have you tried this on a fresh document? Does this happen always? It’s not that we don’t believe you but this is very anomalous behavior so that leads us to think it’s a misunderstanding of the use.

Yes. I always selected a rectangle to use Offset on. I don’t know (yet) how you’d do it any other way.

Yes on all points–every time, in either a new document or an existing one.

By the way, how did you get the images to create that gif file?

I use licecap, but there are others that record screenshots to gif format.

Are you using a mouse or trackpad? I’m digging for reasons why this could happen to only you but I got nuthin. Wish I could come over to your house and see it happen!

I should find a screen recording program to show this. Or, maybe do full-screen captures to make a gif of this crazy behavior.

It’s the same with a mouse or trackpad. Grabbing the edge of a rectangle always works properly; the problem is only with using a number for the Measurements box.

Are we all on the latest version–17.2.2554?

Well, I just realized that the Mac comes with QuickTime, which does screen recording.

Here’s a link to a .MOV file that shows the odd Offset behavior on my Mac: Dropbox - File Deleted

(It’s 25 MB, which is too large to upload here.)

You have set the Click style in Preferences->Drawing Click-Drag-Release That means, if you go outside the rectangle ( By highlighting the measurements ) SketchUp catches the position of the cursor outside that rectangle, any positive number will lead to an offset outside.
You don’t have to go in the measurements VCB, just start typing ( this goes for all commands )
Personally, I prefer the Click-move-click setting in drawing.

1 Like

Just to reiterate, Don’t click in the measurement box at any time.
Start an action, let go of the mouse, type what you need and hit enter/return, type something else and it will do that. Using a - will change the direction and any + typing after that will continue in that direction. It will keep following your typing until you change to another tool. You also don’t need to preselect a rectangle with the Offset tool, just move over it and it will work, move to the next rectangle and double click will repeat the same offset.

1 Like

Well done! I see what you mean, that the program infers the cursor movement towards the Measurements box as a desire to make the offset outside the original rectangle.

Entering the desired value in the Measurements box, without moving the cursor to the box, does fix the problem.

(For what it’s worth, the Drawing setting is set out-of-the-box to Auto, whatever that means.)

Thanks to everyone here in helping to solve my Offset issue. I’ve not found a support forum as good as this one in the thoroughness and accuracy of responses.

Duh. Moving down toward the input box to click into it didn’t even occur to me. Way to go @MikeWayzovski. That deserves a “solved” check from the op cuz it was driving me batty.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s “solved.” I wish the tread starter could mark it as such.

As the thread starter can you see any big Ticks on any of the replies?
Tick the appropriate one.

Yes, I can see Ticks on a given reply. I was just referring to a prominent SOLVED notice for the entire thread.

If you tick the appropriate answer it will show as, the ‘solution’ to the thread.

And, DUH, I was able to change the original title and added “[SOLVED].”

But he ticked, Dave as the correct answer earlier.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.