NLS warning when importing DWGs exported by Sketchup into Autocad

Is this an Autocad problem or Sketchup? If it is Sketchup can we get a solution? Currently I export as Autocad version 12 and that’s a work around but I have issues sometimes were it makes invalid DWGS.

The only warning I get is that the file isn’t created with autodesk software. A bug that made DWG files appear created by the Student version of AutoCad was fixed in the most recent SketchUp service release.

Not for me. I get 3 - 4 NLS warnings when I attach a DWG export from Sketchup into Autocad for Mac as an Xref. When I update the xref I get 1 warning. I can do a video of it if you would like.

which exact SU do you use: “SketchUp > About SketchUp… > xx.x.xxx”?

sorry, meant @betazero .

19.1.173 Mac - Sketchup Pro & Autocad is Autocad for Mac 2019

So this problem still exists and I xref around 12 drawings into a main drawing. So I have to open those drawings if I update them and save them to fix these NLS warnings ! This is from Sketchup 2021 to Autocad 2021. Its around a 6 year old issue that I can’t believe still exists Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 7.06.30 PM|324x500

Sketchup 21.0.392 now…time to fix this problem

betazero, did your issue not get resolved on the Autodesk forum?
AutoCAD is notifying you that the model was created within a package with either another language, or a font was used for another language.
The issue is also documented the Autodesk Knowledgebase

I wonder if the issue is caused by the Mac version of AutoCad keeping its internal character encoding compatible with the Windows version while the Sketchup exporter simply uses the encoding of the parent system. Just thinking. The earliest version of Mac AutoCad ported, under the hood, half the Windows OS to the Mac, had dismal performance and crashed a lot, and was quite soon retired. The current version ought to be a different beast altogether, but I wonder how it is dealing with its compatibility issues.

I don’t get it when opening files exported from the Windows version with the Windows version of AutoCad. Is it he same when exporting from LayOut?

This ought to be tested. How does a Windows-exported dwg behave in Mac AutoCad? How does a Mac-exported dwg behave in Windows AutoCad? Other permutations? Do Mac and PC AutoCad files work together faultlessly in general?

The guy I have been working with at Autodesk says the next version of Autocad ( I guess V2023) is fixed and no longer has NLS warnings. I will throw a party that days…I go thru about 30 per day because and I am tired of opening each xref to fix them.

This is still an issue in Autocad 2023 and yes it has something to do with Autocad having some kind of windows encoding something or other (which obviously throws up an error on a Mac) . I am sick of paying for these products that when I have an issue that is really costing me time I get zero solution for years. It is going on like 6 or 7 years now…I can just switch to Briscad (which does not have this issue but is missing dynamic block editing :frowning: ) or dump Sketchup but for what I do not know… All Autodesk needs to do is a add a “do not display future warnings” checkbox and this problem would vanish…Or if Sketchup DWG exports didnt include any font library at all. Not sure what font library is needs since it doesnt even export text from Sketchup to a DWG… Guess I need to wait ANOTHER year… Where do I go again to submit a problem with Sketchup? Can’t find it anywhere but I know it exists.

Problem solved… I use Draftsight :slight_smile:

I tried Briscad for a while but have not tried Draftsight ( I will check it out.) . Not being able to edit dynamic blocks killed my Briscad use. Autocad finally fixed the NLS problems in 2023 (pretty much) after like 6+ years…It is getting silly these bugs that we just have to live with. I would love to find a hungry smaller company making a Sketch clone with new features and Autocad with new features.