For all of the great progress Sketchup has made over the years, there are still some issues that I can’t believe have not been resolved.
- Of the first 10 or so times I have opened Layout since upgrading to 2021, it has crashed on load 3 times. Crashing on load is a problem I have had for many versions on many machines. This should be long behind up by now.
- The inability to automatically move plugins, settings, preferences, etc… This seems like upgrade 101.
- The Add Location window still only loads properly about 75% of the time for me. Closing and reopening works usually.
- Window location persistence, especially for tool windows, is horrible. A tool location system like Adobe Premiere Pro would be great. This is doubly frustrating when using a laptop and moving between different locations with different external monitor situations.
- Speaking of persistence… In Layout, the Save As dialog should have a persistent folder location and distinct from the Export As dialog. If you export a file, the Save As window will default to the last folder you exported a file to. That’s not good for my workflow at all.
Before I lodge my last complaint with the 2021 update, I want to reiterate that Sketchup is awesome and the continued improvement and support has been great (save for a little licensing issue I had with the new subscription service). I really like how new features are rolled out like little surprises. We have had some hiccups over time (Add Location Imagery comes to mind), but overall Sketchup is still a tool I use daily and love how it continues to support my mission.
My last complaint - sorry all, but the new logos suck. I can hardly tell apart the Sketchup and Layout logos when alt-tabbing. I get what was trying to be accomplished, but I just need it to be functional, not fun. Gimme something. A little color, or some other greater distinction.