New User Can't Attach Plank To Horizontal 2x4

I am new to Sketchup. I am simply trying to attach a plank to my the horizontal 2x4 of my picket fence. I’m struggling to move my plank component to the desired spot. Thge attached image has guide marks as to where I’d like the plank. The back face of the plank will attach to the front face of the 2x4, in theat the top of the plank sits 2.25" above the top of the 2x4. The side edge of the plank will directly abut the vertical 6x6.

Share the .skp file so we can see exactly what you’ve got.

305test.skp (4.6 MB)
Thank you

A real good place to start would be The Learning Center. Another good resource is The SketchUp You Tube Channel. Both are sponsored by the SketchUp Crew and well worth the time spent there.

1 Like

If I were modeling this fence I would have drawn the first slat in place against the rails. Modeling things in place as much as possible means you don’t need to spend so much time assembling the model, it reduces errors and you can use what you’ve already modeled as a reference for what you will model. After making a component of the geometry I would use Move/Copy to make more. Since you don’t have it in place, you can move it first in the Red direction grabbing it by a corner and locking the direction with Shift or with the right cursor key. Then move it in the green direction along the rail. The key is to grab the component by a corner that has some place as a destination.
move

By the way, you should get into the habit of creating components a little earlier in your modeling process. Most of the posts are loose geometry and part of the ground.

The blue back faces should be reversed, too. I would suggest waiting until you have the model geometry correct and pretty well completed before you start adding textures.

Make sure you are using layers/tags correctly. Much of your geometry is improperly tagged.
Screenshot - 9_19_2021 , 1_18_16 PM

And purge unused stuff once in awhile. This reduced the file size by about 93%.
Screenshot - 9_19_2021 , 1_19_17 PM

305test purged.skp (333.5 KB)

Please update your profile. It says you are still using SketchUp 2017 Pro.

Thank you Dave, I appreciate your patience as I’m one that finds great difficulty in self teaching especially when I can’t relate my problems with content in tutorials. So much experience you share in your posts to acknolwedge, and study up on. I don’t dare ask on some of the things you mentioned that flew over my head. :slight_smile:

But you should ask so you can learn.