New to Sketchup. Would like to use SU to render photos to show paver options to clients

I have been playing with importing photos that I have take of clients homes and driveways. I am having trouble figuring out how to overlay paver patterns onto the photo to show different paving options. I am sure there is a tutorial, but I have not found it. Any help would be appreciated. I have drawn areas that I can paint with textures (in this case a paver), but they do not show up over the photo. I can only see them when I rotate away from the photo, but when I click back to Match Photo, they are not showing up over the existing concrete driveway. Thanks in advance.

Can you post a model and or screenshot of either what you’re doing now that needs help or at least an image reference of what you’re trying to accomplish?

As Eric says, sharing your model and at least one photo will make it much easier to show you what you need to do.

Your profile indicates you are using "SketchUp Free (web) 2016 which is contradictory. In any case, you need to be using SketchUp Pro instead since you are using it for your business.

Here is a jpg. I am trying to change the concrete driveway to various different brick pavers.

What do you have as an image of the pavers? If it’s a decent image you should be able to make it a texture to apply to faces in SketchUp.

I haven’t gotten as far as getting the paver pattern yet. I was not worried about that bc I could use what is in the program for testing and then switch out the actual color and shape I want. The problem is, if you see the black lined triangle where the guy is standing, when I use the paint bucket to fill the space, it does not show up over the concrete. It is there, under the original concrete. If you rotate the picture you can see it, but not as an overlay straight on.

You need to edit the style so the overlaid image is not displayed. Styles panel>Edit and the blue cube icon. Adjust the Foreground slider.

I am sorry, but I am not following you. I don’t see a Styles panel. And if I make the overlaid image disappear will the entire image go away or just the area where the pavers are?

The Styles panel will be found in the Default tray when you switch over to SketchUp Pro. Or look in the Window menu. There’s an overlay and a background version of the same image when you import it as a Match Photo image.

See: Matching a Photo to a Model (or a Model to a Photo) | SketchUp Help

I am using SketchUp Make 2017. Does this make a difference?

Your profile indicates you are using 2016. SketchUp 2017 and later place the panels in the Default tray which is normally found on the right side of the screen. You should find Styles in there. If not, click on Window>Default Tray and select Styles.

As I said before, since you are using SketchUp for your business, you need to be using SketchUp Pro, not Make. The current version of SketchUp Pro is 2018.

I actually thought I was using SU Pro. Does pro cost money? I do not recall whether or not I have purchased anything. I have been using this for a while and remember upgrading to something at one point. Anyhow, I watched the video you sent and that is basic. I have done this part of importing the picture into SU. I did find the styles tray, but what do I do with this?

Yes. SketchUp Pro costs money. Evidently if you were using SketchUp 2016 Make and are now using SketchUp 2017 Make, that was your “upgrade”. You need to download and license SketchUp Pro.

Once you find the Styles window, you should be able to get to the sliders.

you are exactly correct. i upgraded to 2017. ok i will see about registering. in the mean time i appreciate your help. i have found the styles and transparency slider, but how does this help me? i see the modeling settings button, then the transparency slides. what do i do with them? the foreground slide only makes the triangle i have selected turn white. i still cannot see the pavers unless i rotate the picture and then i lose the photo.

Upload the SKP file so I can show you.

Ditty.skp (3.4 MB)

Untick the box for Foreground.

■■■■, that was easy. So now i just continue to add areas and then paint them with the paver i want. i am sure there are other ways to do borders and such. is there a way to turn the pavers at an angle? another words adjust the angle they run? do you know of any tutorials that show what i am trying to do? I really appreciate your help.

It sounds like you need to start with the fundamentals of modeling first. Learn about using components and groups. You can rotate the texture image on the face. Right click on it and choose Texture>Position. Then drag the green pin to rotate it to the desired angle.

you have been a huge help. i have started at the basics, but have not gotten into the more creative or decorative stuff. i learn by being shown so a tutorial helps, but sometimes they are not what or where i need to be. like you said, i need to start with one teacher and continue thru it. If you have a recommendation i would appreciate it.