New SketchUp Pricing Model...?

This always baffles me. Ranting about ranting? Feeding exactly what you detest?
If nothing to offer, silence is best I think.

1 Like

:+1:
[Post must be at least 5 characters]

Colin it seems works for Trimble.

Interesting choice. I get the entire suite; Audio, video, web, graphics, etc… for about the same price as SU.

The point for me is not the development. That has always happened for good apps with decent market share. The point is keep paying or lose everything. That and the online only for free model (Why bother? Is that the future of Pro?)

We shouldn’t have to pay for them to “fix” anything. Can you imagine leasing a car forever so Toyota could keep fixing it, and so you can keep driving it?

1 Like

Interesting because it is developed even more with subscription pricing, which it’s had for years, despite your assertion that isn’t possible. It’s also priced at double what SketchUp is, so you must have a rare deal.

You were making a point about development and I responded. Don’t act like I brought it up, just because you don’t like that the answer negates your point.

You can’t move the goal posts like that.

2 Likes

I dont pay much for car repairs, I use gaffa and rope to keep the parts together.

4 Likes

as has been mentioned, if one has a perpetual license then you don’t lose everything

2 Likes

I looked at the list of new features for Photoshop and Illustrator, these are very small improvements unlike what I see on other software.

The only interesting thing is the provision of many services and software against subscription, which has no direct relation to the development of an application.

“Highly development” is not a big list of minor improvements, or redrawing icons every 5 years.
In the LastSoftware updates, there were maybe 3 major functions and 5-8 “minor” improvements, except that it impacted all of the software, because it was very smart and in line with the concept of SketchUp.

The most spectacular development that I know of is Blender, with the economic model that has nothing to do with the one you want to accept. In less than a year, not only are there new features and improvements, equivalent to 10 years of M&S Trimble SketchUp updates, but the features that I have started learning have become easier. That is to say that even the ergonomics of the software are evolving. Just compare the list of new products each quarter …

As an Adobe user for the last 30 years I can tell you that the improvements have been huge and you clearly are not aware. Also photoshop and illustrator are but a small part of the creative cloud package. Don’t even act like it isn’t the perfect example of how subscription pricing resulted in more development . Because it is. Not my fault you aren’t familiar.

2 Likes

No, I’m not very familiar. A very long time ago I had trained a group of architect from Renzo Piano on Illustrator, without being a regular user. I was pushed to this experience by the training center, and I remember it was a frightened experience. I trained occasionally on Photoshop. But, now, I don’t use any product from Adobe.

Maybe it is right for Adobe product, but they invent the subscription model…

About Photoshop improvement, I just look at the list this morning on the official website, of the creative cloud, and it was very light improvements for this version.

Then you really shouldn’t argue.

They update it constantly. And AGAIN Photoshop is only a small part of the suite. If you want to even discuss this you would lump all updates to all of their software and services, and it would be huge.

All this is really just to make the point that the argument that a subscription somehow slows development is false. If Adobe invented it (highly doubtful), they certainly did well with it, and it did not result in stagnant development or a loss in customers. Quite the opposite actually.

early adopters that are at the end of the curve alway’s have to deal with this: should I invest time (for a professional this means money) in a software package that has evolved or not?

The question is not how many updates a certain package has, but will it fit my in my process?
The direction the AEC industry is evolving goes fast for the larger companies but will be stable for a while for smaller ones. But you will have to deal with them at some point.
That’s why I like the approach of Trimble that doesn’t dictate use of certain software, as opposed to AD, that forces the user to only use theirs.
Mojo or Cinema 3D has more to fear of Blender than the AEC-packages, I guess, and small companies or free-lance artist’s could switch to Blender fairly easy.
Maybe, there will be an add-on in Blender to regain the feeling that SketchUp had in it’s peak of development. I am not gonna wait two more years for that. Besides, modelling itself is not that important, anymore.

Instead, I am trying to invest time in Trimble Connect. Many regulations in our region prescribe use of BIM models, if you’re not gonna jump into it, you’re lost at some point.

A subscription to SketchUp includes use of Trimble Connect and offers a possibility to team up with larger companies. I admit, there are flaws, still, but have you read all the improvements and updates this month?
(yes, not quarterly, every month)

It’s all about data, these days. Exiting, not?

Well, I argue if I want. Since the subscription by Adobe I have not been a customer anymore, so I no longer inquire about their products, and I made them lose a customer just yesterday.
We probably don’t have the same needs, I have more basic needs and I found what I was looking for in the Affinity suite.

Again, I see a list of light improvements on their website.
Anyway, not all of this software was developed through subscription.

I agree. But this is also measured in technical progress.

It is the case in my region, and this is why (with under-development of SU), This is the reason why SketchUp has been marginalized in architectural firms. Including for sketching purposes. It is not considered as a BIM solution, even if there is BIM tags, and IFC support, because of the methodology.

Blender is technically much better, but SketchUp is currently better suited for architecture. The question is, is it easier to make some improvements in Blender to more easily draw basic shapes for architecture, or could SketchUp handle complex shapes this quickly and non-destructive modeling…

As for sharing destiny with artists, I am not against it, because that was what became SketchUp, a universal 3D tool, which was also suitable for professional use by adopting method, with users with very varied profiles.

Frankly, I don’t believe so, or else we are not talking about the same thing. There is a lot to do on productivity, on the process, on the parametric, and I have also found some very interesting functions in Blender for AEC, derived from animation. I also discovered a parametric method 4 years ago with a working prototype in SketchUp, which allowed me to verify the feasibility of a previous idea, a year before. I am also very interested in anything that allows the user to build his own solutions, his own expertise as with Grasshopper. I notice around me that more and more architects are programming.

me…

2 Likes

Your ignorance to the development is just that. Ignorance. I’m not here to educate you on what you don’t see, but I guarantee the list of improvements is not light since they began subscriptions. And photoshop, AGAIN, is only a small portion of what the subscription provides. Looking at that alone is ignoring something like 80-90% of the offering. But as you admitted, you haven’t used it in a decade or more.

Everything I said about adobe stands true. The subscription model didn’t cause them a loss of customers nor did it slow down development. Nothing you’ve countered with is either relevant nor true.

2 Likes

A little calm in our exchanges…please. I guess you’re younger than me. You had to play with your electric train when I was discovering the first versions of Photoshop when I was a student in architecture. And then, I develop myself. This is also how I was able to have a good grade at school on Autocad, while I was skipping class and showing a 3D software to the professor that I had programmed (I learned C++ during this period). In fact I have never used Autocad, but a little more Photoshop. No, no, don’t try to educate me. :wink:

I’m only saying that saying you don’t know anything about Photoshop doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been developed. The challenge was to name a piece of software that went through strong development with a subscription pricing model. I named Adobe CC, because it’s exactly that. If you or anyone is arguing, I’m all about it, but if you really don’t know anything about it, I guess I don’t even see why you’re engaging at all on the subject.

4 Likes

The “strong” development and the subscription did not allow Adobe to release applications ready for Apple’s M1 processor, unlike Affinity which was ready from day one.

For example, Affinity photo, much cheaper than Photoshop with the creative cloud (there is a limited subscription to Photoshop), was released in 2015 (development started in 2011). Today, according to this article, it covers 94% of the functions of Photoshop, created in 1990. This is a strong development without subsciption.

1 Like