New PC doesn't hack it

I remember having to build our own in early 82.(The IBMs just cost too much.)

Small world, I was a systems programmer back then, for my sins I developed the first interrupt driven FDD driver for the Z80 S100 bus based systems! No graphic driver issues because the 2K video RAM (note the K not M or G) was mapped into the memory space at I think E800 on the Cromenco.

You already have a reasonably powerful laptop, it must be driver related issues so you need to start from fundamentals. Update the lot… if necessary download the correct driver from the HP website and remove all the others prior to installing it. Make sure obvious things like hardware acceleration etc turned on. SketchUp preferences OpenGL blah blah all that stuff explained in umpteen other forums.
I have many laptops, most of them a lot worse spec than your HP and they all run SketchUp great, what kills them are high resolution trees and bushes where you will notice the difference between a Cromenco 2D and say an Asus GeForce GTX 1050! You might have junk on your PC, download CCCleaner and give it a go, sometimes two competing virus scanners can kill a PC! If you want absolute graphic performance from a laptop and money is no object buy a top of the range Asus i7, 1TB SSD, blah blah, mine is stunning but its crazy money for something where the screen is attached using 6 brass in plastic inserts that I have had to redesign and re-manufacture using my 3D printer using SketchUp!

Once again guys, thank you all for your input and comments

By the way … yes my Sketchup 8 is the Pro version and was purchased years ago

Lockey

FYI, SU installer sizes up the computer specs and determines which AA setting would give the best, overall performance/appearance. The end-user can change AA setting to best match their expectations and SU use - i.e. small projects/models can get away with using resource-hogging, high-AA settings without noticeable performance/speed degradation.