Need HELP!

sketchup
advice
modeling
components

I am drawing a geodesic dome with 5 different struts. a total of 250 struts in the dome. I can’t find a easy way to mate the surfaces of the adjoining compounded angle surfaces in the proper orientation. Is there a easy way to do this?ASSY.skp (168.5 KB)

0 Likes

Upload the SKP file so we can see what you are working with and give you some accurate advice.

0 Likes

Not sure how to do that.

0 Likes

Screenshot%20-%201_17_2019%20%2C%202_21_05%20PM

Click on the Upload button and attach the SKP file.

0 Likes

Edited original post

0 Likes

I uploaded the file for you. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Fix

0 Likes

I’m trying to get to it.

0 Likes

Meaning? you can’t access it?

0 Likes

Meaning I’m busier than a one-armed paper hanger and dividing my attention. :slight_smile: I’ve got your file.

0 Likes

:rofl:

0 Likes

Do you need a joint that can be fabricated or just looks clean?

Either way, I would opt for flat ended spars and add some interesting 3 way metal joints.

0 Likes

These are wood struts made from 2 X 8’s. I have a lengths that I’m working from. However, the compound angles they give me have fractional degrees. I’m trying to use whole degrees of 9, 54, 72, and 60. I will have to adjust the strut lengths accordingly.
Fix

0 Likes

Sounds like you are deciding on the structure of the dome as well as the joints.

The last time I worked n a dome, I downloaded a few from the 3D warehouse to get some ideas.

0 Likes

OK. Rotating your components into place is going to be a multi-step thing. I’d consider a different tack to this altogether. I’d start with a basic geodesic dome shape either drawn manually or maybe one from the 3D Warehouse. Maybe you can find one from Taff Goch. He made some really nice dome shapes. Center the dome on the origin so you have a fixed center point to work around. Then make your 2x8 board component with square ends. Don’t worry about the joinery angles until after you’ve got the components placed. Use the dome as a guide for laying out the boards to form the cells. You don’t need to layout components for the entire dome. You should be able to make the triangular cells and then copy them about the center with Rotate. After you’ve got the dome completed with all the components in place, edit the components to draw in the cuts where they meet.

I’ll try to make some sort of screen shots to illustrate as soon as I can.

0 Likes

As an even easier alternative, you could draw the individual elements of the dome as single edges and make them instances of the same component. Then replace those components with the “board” components by selecting and replacing them.

Here I started with a dome by Taff Goch which I downloaded from the 3D Warehouse. I used his because I know he did top notch work. Here I’ve replaced one of the component definitions with a board component. I expect this dome isn’t large enough for your house but it should give you the idea. all that’s left is to make board components for the other two lengths and replace them.

0 Likes

I am building a 4V geodesic dome. On the horizontal equator is divided into 20 segments. That angle is 18 deg meaning each adjoining strut has a bend angle of 9 deg. the surface of the dome consists of pentagons having both 72 and 54 deg angles, along with hexagons having 60 deg angles.

0 Likes

This looks nice! The compound angles are what I’m most concerned with

0 Likes

If you save the compound angles until you have the components in place, you can use the crossing components as guides for drawing the angles.

Leverage the power of the components.

0 Likes

WOW! you make it look too easy! I will look into the 3D warehouse. Do you mind if I put you on speed dial. LOL

1 Like

It’s been many years since I worked with a CAD program. I started drafting on a board and pencil.

0 Likes