Need help choosing parts for my brother in law

Hey everyone, so my sister asked me to help choose parts for my brother in law for a new work computer. He is using Sketchup pro 2020 for landscaping designs, and I am not really sure what else. I looked at the system requirements, and searched the forum for the types of builds people have done. I have experience building gaming PCs, but not ones for actual work. He isn’t doing super crazy work and I don’t think he needs the best, but I want to make sure this computer will be good for a couple of years at least. Is the performance difference that much compared to Intel CPUs? Should I bump up the GPU to and RTX card as well? Not sure what their budget is, but I don’t want to go overboard with it unless I can explain to them the benefits of spending more. I apologize if this isn’t in the right place to ask, or I missed something while searching the forum.

Here are the specs that I have picked so far:
CPU: Ryzen 3600x
RAM: 32gb 3200mhz
GPU: GTX 1660.

Processor and ram are in the mid-top range and the video is , a bit beyond (low-mid range)
Since landscaping involves sometimes importing high(er) poly components I would advice to get a better rtx (2070+).
Though you can bog down any system with high poly objects, there are renderers that make food use of ‘proxies’ or ‘dummy’ components that get loaded upon rendering. Those render engines (Enscape, Twinmotion or Lumion for realtime, Vray for stills) also need a good GPU.

I was going to get a 2070 for my gaming/SU2020 rig, but went with the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT to go with the Ryzen 7 2700x and it has worked well for both purposes. 32gb memory

1 Like