Need a pointer or two on modifying this model

Sure, will do. I just downloaded the 2017 Make desktop version. I had a trial pro version earlier in this thread but I’ve no intention to subscribe at my current level of use.

1 Like

I started messing around with the height of this model and stretched it closer to the actual height I want to model. Then I found I could push and twiddle around with those four plain arcs I had in the last upload and see what the shapes looked like as an overall effect. I like this because I can experiment with the profile given I don’t know what I really want. Is this strategy OK or am I going to run into problems? I suppose it would be nice to be able to push around smoother curves than just vertices or segments. CheersUntitled.skp (161.2 KB)

You may run into issues if you start overlapping the vertices, ‘don’t cross the streams.(’ Perhaps too old a film ref there.)

Basically you can do what you want, it all depends what the end result you want is. Perhaps the fiddling will show you the shape you want albeit a bit messy, so you can then see how to construct it cleanly. Just remember that it is all just a bunch of straight edges and faces and don’t think there is anything magical. Even extensions generally only automate what can be done manually.

Thanks, I’ll try not to explode at the speed of light.

Got a new problem. I made half of this thing and then copy translated it away, scaled it to make the mirror image and translated it back to join together. Looked like on the smoother side there was one segment short. I connected it and it skinned OK, but when I tried to translate the circle away along the blue axis to stretch it out bad things happened. Not sure how to diagnose this? I wonder if it was because I had 45 segments in each half element (ie 90 segments in the full circle etc) and it should have been an even number to stitch up properly
cheers
M
untitled.skp (199.3 KB)

I can’t look at your model just now, but regarding the number of segments it is always good to work with multiples of 4, often easiest to stick with multiples of 12.
This always gives you even numbers on halves and quadrants but also allows you to know generally where the cardinal points are.
Cardinal points being the magic vertices on all arc and circles that allow you to grab and resize the circle. Cardinal as in the cardinal points of the compass as long as you pull your circles out on axis.
Draw a circle, then with nothing selected, position the move tool over the circle (edge not face), on most of the circumference the edge will highlight blue allowing you to grab it and move the whole circle, but at the cardinals the ring won’t highlight and if you click there it will grab the vertex and make the circle bigger or smaller rather than moving it.
Excuse any typos as I hate typing on a phone in a queue.

1 Like